cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app STILL blinking on top menu bar but not opening

Dropbox app STILL blinking on top menu bar but not opening

DeeBee9
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there.  I'm referring to the conversation that happened here a couple years ago, but was never resolved (and I couldn't seem to join):

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-app-blinking-on-top-menu-bar-b...

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as Sharon (snmryan).  The final suggestion in that conversation doesn't work, as the first step is quitting Dropbox, which is not possible.  I can catch it while it's blinking in Activity Monitor and quit it there, but it comes right back.  I also have the grey, blinking icon in the menu bar.  If I click on that while it is on, it starts to open a finder window and animate the Dropbox logo, but then winks out of existence.  If I try to put Dropbox in the trash, I am told I can't do that because Dropbox is open, though it does not appear in the Force Quit list of open applications.  HELP!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox app STILL blinking on top menu bar but not opening

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @DeeBee9, sorry to jump in here, but could you try an advanced reinstall and let us know how it goes?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

DeeBee9
Explorer | Level 3

The solution below allows you to quit the app, but a restart and fresh install gets back to the blinking.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Trying-to-delete-Dropbox-from-mac/td-p...

So, I can't have the app live on my laptop I guess?

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @DeeBee9, let's see what we can find on this! 

I would like you to locate your Dropbox icon. It would be on the menu bar, next to your WiFi.

Once you do this, could you hover your mouse there and let me know what the version of the Dropbox Desktop application is? 

It should look something like this: xxx.3.xxx or xxx.4.xxx.

Keep me posted.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DeeBee9
Explorer | Level 3
Hi, Megan! If I still had the app on my computer, I would not be able to fulfill this request, as the icon in the menu bar blinks on and off and I cannot open or close the app. I can tell you that it would be the most recent version. I had the same result with a fresh install downloaded from Dropbox once I figured out how to get the app off of my laptop.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @DeeBee9, sorry to jump in here, but could you try an advanced reinstall and let us know how it goes?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DeeBee9
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Walter!  I don't really know what I did (I've never messed around in Terminal before), but it seems to have worked!!  Thanks again!

Walter
Dropboxer
Glad to hear you're back up and running @DeeBee9

See you around the Community and have a wonderful week ahead!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    DeeBee9 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?