cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox app blinking on top menu bar but not opening

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just downloaded the drop box app for Mac desktop. It downloaded fine but I cannot open the app from either the dock or through Applications. Furthermore in the top menu bar the dropbox icon keeps flashing every few mins. When I try to uninstall the app through Applications it says it cannot be uninstalled as it is currently open?!

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox app blinking on top menu bar but not opening

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @LilyLi

In order to fix this issue, would you mind opening the Activity Monitor utility on your computer, normally located under Applications > Utilities, to see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device?

Once you have launched Activity Monitor, if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, could you please perform the following steps?
  • Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. Be careful not to click on the 'X' that closes the window, but the one that will Force a process to quit.
After you've done so, you should be able to uninstall the desktop app and reinstall it (if you want to). 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have what seems to be the same problem. My mac desktop Dropbox app won't start properly. It starts to start, then blinks out. Then starts to start again. Stops. Seems bad. I can quit all Dropbox app-related activity only in Activity Monitor (although I have to be quick about zapping the processes because they blink on and off - kind of weird. If I zap them a few times they stop re-starting, it seems.) Anyway, I tried re-downloading and re-installing the app. But that didn't seem to work. Same blinking, fail-to-start misbehavior. Should my next step be to uninstall? And, if so, there is no need to uninstall all my gigs and gigs of files, right? Or do I have to uninstall everything - all the files - and then redownload them from Dropbox? I obviously just want to make sure I don't lose anything.

Thanks.

- John Holbo

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @John H.139, thanks for checking in with us here. 

Initially, awesome work on the initial troubleshooting!

From here, could you check if you have a third party app, like a security app, that could be hindering or blocking the desktop app from running? 

For this reason, could you try temporarily disabling your antivirus and configuring your firewall to work with Dropbox? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Nope, nothing like that running. Everything was fine until today when it stopped working. Yesterday we had a power outage and the computer shut down improperly. That's the only recent event of note that might have induced it. I take it I need to do an uninstall/re-install. I just want to use best-practices with that. I know all my files won't go poof if I just uninstall. But I want to be sure that everything is fine after reinstall.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just went ahead and deleted the app, and all the Dropbox associated library files. And reinstalled and signed in again and it seems to be working fine. It's still syncing - checking my desktop files match the cloud - so I won't know if it's happy for hours, but, fingers-crossed, seems to have gone without a hitch.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, @John H.139

Keep me posted! 

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?