cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app crashing/restarting

Dropbox app crashing/restarting

MikeyW
Explorer | Level 4

So I have been going around in circles trying to conect Dropbox on multiple platforms, and multiple networks. It never connects. Most of the time, you can't even get to the log in screen, it's just stuck at "Connecting".

Recently, I have noticed a behavior. I am currently trying to connect DB on 3 different computers(2 Windows and a Mac), and on two separate networks.

Here is what I'm observing:

Windows 10: Open Task Manager, Dropbox icon switches from blue(active) to gray(inactive) constantly.

Windows 7: Task Manager isn't as fancy as Win 10, but in the taskbar, the Dropbox Icon keeps appearing/disappearing as it loads and crashes.

Mac Sierra: In the taskbar at the top, the DB icon just keeps flickering on and off.

These are new installs. I can't keep track anymore of which machine is running a beta build, which is running the latest official buiild, and which one I installe using the Offline Installer. The point is that you can't sign into an account, because DB doesn't stay alive long enough, but it doesn't either fully crash, or is back up so quickly, that you don't get an error either. I have left computers for a full 24 hours waiting for them to connect. I think the client loading and crashing is the root of the entire problem.

10 Replies 10

Re: Dropbox app crashing/restarting

Chris_J
Super User

Hello MikeyW

Sorry to hear that you have these issues.  It is strange that you are having these on multiple computers..  Are you using a Proxy?  ask your network administrator.  If you are, you can change the network settings in Client Preferences.

Since this seems to be complex, I would submit a Support Ticket https://www.dropbox.com/support\

Let us know how it went.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Ross_S
Dropboxer
I think Chris_J is onto something.

Have you tried on another network, even hot-spotting of your phone to see if there's security software blocking the startup process?

MikeyW
Explorer | Level 4

That's the deal, I have used 3 different networks:

1. Our standard, managed network at work.

2. Our backup(non-managed) network at work. This is recently installed, and has not had anything done to manage it. I know this because I am the in-house IT tech on site.

3. My network at home.

As I said, the app is crashing and relaunching. I can watch the app flash on and off and on and off over and over... It isn't even getting to the part where it tries to phone home to connect before the app cycles again, and the whole mess starts over, so a proxy shouldn't even be coming into play yet, it won't stay running. But for what it's worth, I've managed to get into the preferences and set it to "No Proxy" with no noticeable change to the results.

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey @MikeyW

If all these machines are exhibiting similar behavior, then there has to be something on all these systems that’s interfering. Have a look for any software or hardware that may be getting in our app’s way. 

You mention that these are brand new installs. Are you referring to our app, or to your OSs? If it’s the OSs, are you fully updated with Windows updates, or MacOS updates? 

I would try uninstalling our app, restarting the system(s), then reinstalling using our offline installer. During installation, it’s a good idea to temporarily disable any anti-virus, security, or other software that may interfere with the install process, and later with the startup process. 

I also highly recommend that you get the offline installer of our latest stable version, 44.4.58. I know you’re familiar with this stuff, but I’ll lay it out anyway: 
  • A beta version is denoted by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx. If you are on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings. I recommend that you switch this off, and then install our stable build. 
Let me know how this goes. If we can’t resolve the issue here, we’ll get you in touch with our support team for further investigation. 
Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MikeyW
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry, same issue on the Mac I am using. Like I said, this is on a fresh network that has not yet been configured for our system.

I restarted the Mac, and uninstalled Dropbox(COuldn't just uninstall it because it was running, but hilighting the icon and choosing 'Quit Dropbox' didn't work because it would crash before closing, but not completely). I emptied the trash, restarted the Mac, downloaded the Offline installer and installed it.

Same behavior. The Dropbox icon shows up for about 5 seconds, then disappears for about 7 seconds. That 5 seconds isn't really long enough to click on the icon, click on the gear, click on 'Sign In' and then get it to pop up the sign in dialog, so nothing happens.

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @MikeyW.

Well, this is certainly something that we’ll need to take a closer look at. Go ahead and submit a support ticket here, so our team can access your account and troubleshoot further with you. 

It would be a good idea to include a link to this forum thread in your ticket, so the agent that handles your case will have an idea of what we’ve been working on. 

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jean16
Explorer | Level 3

I'm facing the same problem, has this issue been solved?

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @jean16. Could you elaborate on this a tad? 

Is your desktop app crashing when booting your device for example or are you connect and then crashes at some point? Could you describe the behavior so we can investigate further?

In addition, could you please try re-installing our software on the affected device using our latest stable build's offline installer found in the page below?

Let me know if the crashing issue occurs again after you've done that and we'll take it from there. Thank you!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jean16
Explorer | Level 3

The app just keeps crashing and restarting, it's on a loop of crashing and restarting. 

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?