cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app does not work in Finder (Mac) since iOs Catalina update

Dropbox app does not work in Finder (Mac) since iOs Catalina update

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've recently updated my desktop to Catalina since it prompted me that photoshop wouldn't work on my previous operating system. Mojave, I think. Since then, it's caused a bunch of problems including the most frustrating one with Dropbox. It seems that the application goes nowhere and what was once the most convenient method to utilize dropbox in my finder and favorites window goes nowhere when it is clicked. I've deleted the app, restarted and/or shut down computer, resinstalled, removed app from sidebar, logged in and out of the application, etc. When the app in any location is clicked on, it goes nowhere or the window just turns a shade of white in the finder window. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I don't know what I did but managed somehow to find the actual folder somewhere and dragged that into the side bar. Both of which work perfectly now. So I guess the main thing is to make sure the folder is there rather than the application itself. Everything seems to be in working order. Thanks for your time and patience @Walter 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @CBrubeck - welcome to the Community!

I'm not quite sure of the problem's nature, could you elaborate on (or share a screenshot of) this? 

@CBrubeck wrote:

It seems that the application goes nowhere and what was once the most convenient method to utilize dropbox in my finder and favorites window goes nowhere when it is clicked. 

Assuming that you're now running the desktop app, can you please let me know what the app is reporting at the moment so I can have a better look?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I do have file sync enabled and I'll attach a screen shot below for you. Note that the cursor isn't highlighted on the dropbox location but it has indeed been selected at the time. I've also done the same update to my laptop and nothing has changed there, which is odd.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 1.42.07 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry, I still don't see the app's status @CBrubeck. Nor any syncing icons on your files to be honest.

Can you take a look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and see if it is syncing?

When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the exact message being displayed reads?

If, by any chance, the app's not running, could you relaunch it from your Applications folder and let me know how it goes? 

Thanks so much! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Here's a look at the app from the menu bar. I can even see notifications when either I or someone else adds a file to the folders but can never access them from anything but the browser. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 6.57.22 AM.png

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm assuming this will also be a question asked. If it is enabled to show folders in Finder then I'd hope that would still be the case but it's not working for some reason. The icon is there but when selected, the screen just turns a lighter shade of white and doesn't go anywhere.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 7.21.48 AM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional details @CBrubeck - they're most appreciated.

Could you check if Full Disk Access has been provided to our app as well? 

To do this, go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy and Select Full Disk Access from the left and ensure that the Dropbox App has its box ticked (you will need to click the locked padlock at the bottom of the window to put a tick in the box). 

Let me know how this goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Walter Here's what's interesting. If you click on the dropbox app on sidbar under favorites this is where the issue is occurring, of course, but the menubar still populates at the top of the screen. Most elections under File, Edit, View, Window, Help are greyed out. Same thing when you click on the selection next to search below it will say "no options available". Only when choosing New Window will it bring up a dropbox feed from Finder and show everything just fine. So I know something is working somehow but can't fathom a solution to make it all work as it should and as it used to.

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 7.35.24 AM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In this case, I'd suggest a re-install then @CBrubeck. Just make sure to use the offline installer of our latest, stable build during that process (found below):

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=85.4.155&plat=mac&type=full 

Let me know the results!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CBrubeck
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Walter thanks for the tips. I have done so and full access was not checked so I went ahead and did that. My laptop (which is still good to go) wasn't either but it works just fine. I've deleted and re added the offline download with the same end result as before. Thoughts?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

me34 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    MariaJ Explorer | Level 3
    CBrubeck Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?