cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I’m Antonio, a member of the Dropbox Mobile team. We’ve discovered an incompatibility issue between Dropbox’s app and Android OS that led to higher-than-normal battery usage on Android phones.

We’ve fixed the issue, and the app should return to normal functionality after restarting it. 

To restart the app:
  • On your device, open the Settings app and select Application Manager
  • Switch to the Running tab to view your active apps
  • Tap the Dropbox app and select Stop
  • Re-launch the Dropbox app from your home screen

If you’ve restarted the app and are still seeing higher-than-normal battery usage, please reply to this thread, and we’ll take a look.
101 Replies 101

Oula
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I'm also seeing an extensive battery drain with Dropbox 68.2.2 version (the previous version was the same) for Abdroid. My phone is Huawei Mate 9.

I've tried to restart and reinstall several times, but no difference. Even though there are no uploads ongoing, the Dropbox app consumes 15% of the battery. Mainly because it seems to keep the system awake even though there's nothing happening.

TinyTim
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Unfortunately I also see an extensive battery drain with Dropbox 68.2.2 version for Android. The Phone I'm using is a SamSung Galaxy S6 running Android 7 (Patchlevel August)

Did do the whole thing with rebooting, r-installing, etc to no avail, it's still consuming approx 14%.

Darthy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same issue here, 5 hours of keep awake on 68.2.2 and didn't even use it today.

Axelderhund
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I'm still noticing this problem on both mine and my wife's galaxy s6 Android v7 nougat phones. Battery usage is at 8 precent, and that is after stopping the app, clearing cache and data, uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling. I have even set the app to only upload files while charging, however it still shows 8 precent battery usage throughout the day with the app only running in the background. We are using version 68.2.2. if this continues, I'll be forced to cancel my subscription, since it is burning through 1\10 of my battery every day. Included is my log from gsam detailing the apps usage.

GSam Labs - Battery Monitor - Export Data Dropbox Oct 26, 2017 9:43:26 PM Usage Details CPU Usage:32m 19s CPU Usage (Background Only):31m 22s Keep Awake:1m 32s Number of Wake Locks:1 Number of times waking device:74 Bytes Sent:21.72 MB Bytes Received:11.63 MB App UID:10288 Wakelock Detail 1.5m(1)*job*/com.dropbox.android/.camerauploads.CameraUploadsScanAndUploadJobService Included Packages Dropbox Included Processes com.dropbox.android:crashes com.dropbox.android *wakelock*

The native battery monitor estimates that 253 mah of battery has been used, with 4 hours and 20 minutes of stay awake time.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'll check if they have updates on this - thanks for keeping reporting!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

JoakimT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same problem here

Galaxy S8

rob0t
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here, Xperia XZ

JoakimT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Tried installing Dropbox beta 70.2.4 but made no difference.

Will have to uninstall the app until this gets fixed :unamused:

2017-10-29 09.39.53.png

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for sending this - I'll check for updates from our engineers

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

VincentV
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Same issue here. 1002 mAh usage by Dropbox without using it. Kept my system awake for over 3h. Photo uploads are disabled. Version 68.2.2
Need more support?