cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

Dropbox app for Android causing high battery usage

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, I’m Antonio, a member of the Dropbox Mobile team. We’ve discovered an incompatibility issue between Dropbox’s app and Android OS that led to higher-than-normal battery usage on Android phones.

We’ve fixed the issue, and the app should return to normal functionality after restarting it. 

To restart the app:
  • On your device, open the Settings app and select Application Manager
  • Switch to the Running tab to view your active apps
  • Tap the Dropbox app and select Stop
  • Re-launch the Dropbox app from your home screen

If you’ve restarted the app and are still seeing higher-than-normal battery usage, please reply to this thread, and we’ll take a look.
101 Replies 101

fabiovilan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Dropbox developers are not taking this seriously... Soon all power management apps on Android and even Google itself in Android 7 will flag Dropbox as battery consuming and block it from running and it will take months/years for Dropbox to revert this. This is a VERY SERIOUS BUG, flag it as CRITICAL and test it before the release of a new beta.

hagelberg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked for me too. And the application was rather simple. Thank You.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi everyone
Dev team has been notified and will work on a fix for the next stable version. I'll keep you guys updated!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mark100
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, its been 6 months and the developers are looking at it "urgently".

Imagine my relief.

I guess its time to use a different application that does not have this issue.

granchir
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I also have the problem of battery drain on my Huawei P9 Lite. I found it from version 68.2.2. I opened Request # 7124585, Dropbox engineers confirmed that this is a bug and are working on it, but until the current version 72.2.2 the problem persists.

Debin L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The issue is still present in the 72.2.2 version of the Android Dropbox.
From the Wakelock logs, it seems that the MobileUpload job started by Dropbox is keeping the phone awake.

*job*/com.dropbox.android/.camerauploads.CameraUploadsScanAndUploadJobService

The only viable solution for now, to make my phone usable, is to Greenify the Dropbox app, which kills the Dropbox app.

Can you please let the dev team know? Who was doing the QA before approving the version that caused this bug? And why was the codebase (at least the commit where this issue was introduced) not roll-ed back when this bug was noticed? This is a server bug that affects the usability of user's phone.

Alan R.4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just filed a ticket too - getting 10% battery drain just from Dropbox on newly factory reset phone (SGS7) using latest stable version from Play Store.  Set to autoupload pics/vids over WiFi when on charge, hardly used all day yet still big battery drain.  Really surprised this hasn't been fixed given how long it has been reported for.

jamesballenger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It seems like this warrants some emergency escalation as the posters here probably represent 1% or less of Dropbox affected user base and Dropbox is pissing off its customers with this legitimately critical problem.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all,

v76.1.6 was just released - can you try it and see if this improves on battery consumption?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

orenfl
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Seems like it is good, but let's have some more hours...
Need more support?