cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

Vorter
New member | Level 2

I am also still having this issue. I tried literally every single troubleshooting step here and nothing. The problem is only fixed when Dropbox is uninstalled.

EDIT: So I noticed that my iCloud Drive folder was the only other folder that would freeze up when selected. When I started up the iCloud application, the problem suddenly went away for both iCloud and Dropbox folders. Strange...

mmarcinkevicz
Explorer | Level 4
Check the windows event log. My issue got fixed by sending the appcrash events

For this case, it sounds like both apps are monitor a common folder

grezzny
New member | Level 2

Hi, Jay!

Has there been any luck on resolving this issue? The dropbox is practically non-responsive in the Windows Explorer, but works from within the app or inside of other program's dialog boxes. I've tried nearly every fix on this thread; is this still ongoing in 98.4.198?

renatopcamara
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone,

Suddenly my windows file explore gets freeze when trying to opens dropbox folders on my desktop. The dropbox app it works fine.

I have done the advanced re-installation but it did not fix the problem.

windows version: build2020.07.09.serp_20b91c5a_31225_1_12725714

dropbox version: v101.4.434

Can someone give me some instruction on how to fix this problem?

biseyre
New member | Level 2

Try Clearing your temporary files

rum this string in cmd, temp and then %temp% delete all the files in these folders.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

biseyre New member | Level 2
    renatopcamara New member | Level 2
    grezzny New member | Level 2
    mmarcinkevicz Explorer | Level 4
    Vorter New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?