cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey iHate2, sorry to hear that you're facing this issue, let me follow-up a bit more closely towards resolution!

For starters, kindly note that I’ve moved your post under this discussion, just so as to ping you to Walter’s reply to the OP. Have you by any chance tried whether an Advanced re-installation helps amend this discrepancy by any chance? 

If you’ve already done so, please do let me know of the results in your next message, just in order to take it from where you’ve left off on your end. I look forward to hearing back back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

iHate2
Helpful | Level 5

I have already tried Advanced re-installation following the steps of that page and it didn't fix the issue.

iHate2
Helpful | Level 5

Hello ? It's been 2 days without a reply from you. The problems still exists.

MichaelKristev
Explorer | Level 4

It's probably an issue with Windows and not Dropbox. Perhaps try using Dropbox on another computer and see if it works for you. I've been having no issues at all and have been using Dropbox on a daily basis.

iHate2
Helpful | Level 5

I have been using dropbox for years on daily basis without a problem too but that doesn't mean anything. It's a problem with dropbox since when i uninstall the program, the problem is gone and i can access the remaining folders without windows explorer freezing.

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for pinging me back here @iHate2 & apologies for the delay in replying; I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look at your account-specifics through our Official Support channel. Please have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience & we’ll take it from there!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Pick_up_the_box
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Pick_up_the_box, I’m afraid that I don’t have an update on my end, as the last ticket was closed in our system due to inactivity, however I’ll do my best to follow-up with you from where you've left off. I’m wondering if you’ve already tried any of the troubleshooting steps posted here previously, please let me know in your next message if possible & we’ll take it from there!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

mmarcinkevicz
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having a similar problem.  Reinstall is no help.  in folders with 500 or so documents and 200 or so folders, when I go to browse for a file and type in part of the name to scroll down, explorer crashes if its a Dropbox managed folder.  machine is Windows 10.0.17134 Build 17134  x64, patched.

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.17134.858, time stamp: 0x407a5e89
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.885, time stamp: 0x3672f486
Exception code: 0xc06d007f
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388
Faulting process id: 0x5e08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d556daa864fc76
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 08915336-e7d7-40ea-a8cd-b2b378f0dd76
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @mmarcinkevicz, thanks for devoting some time to try working on that on your end & letting me know of the outcome here! I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look at your account-specifics through our Official Support channel & submit that for further evaluation to a higher-level technician if needed.

Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have a bit of spare time & I’ll check back with you asap. Thanks! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

biseyre New member | Level 2
    renatopcamara New member | Level 2
    grezzny New member | Level 2
    mmarcinkevicz Explorer | Level 4
    Vorter New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?