cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

plakatos
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I have the same issue on 2 of my 3 PCs. I am using Windows 10 pro, 64 bit (version 1903). When I try to open some folders, file explorer just crashes. I tried reinstall, and advanced re-installation. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Peter

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @plakatos,

Can you try disabling any firewall/antivirus you may have on your computer to see if that helps with the issue you described?

Also, do you possibly have any symlinks within your Dropbox folder? You can check this with the steps mentioned here in point 7.

Finally, are you getting any error messages at all when File Explorer crashes?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

plakatos
Explorer | Level 4

Dear Daphne,

thank you, completely diabling my firewall/antivirus software (Bitdefender) did the trick. Now I will play around to try to figure out which exact feature causes the crash, and then I will contact Dropbox to see if they have a solution.

Thank you again!

Peter

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I'm very happy to hear that @plakatos!

If you have any other questions about this in the meantime then please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here, I'll be more than happy to help. :grin:

Have a great day - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Tadidesign
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, i have the same problem, Explorer crashed while opening a file with Office format (.xlsx , .docx , .xls...) systematically! Even just by clicking on the file (i mean not trying to open it) makes Explorer crashed! I've tried with some .pdf or .dwg or .jpeg and it works properly. So it seems to be between Dropbox and Office for Windows... Have you find a simple solution? Because i switched off Windows Defender and it didn't solve the problem. Thx in advance. Fred.

(Surface Book 2 with Windows 10 PRO 64)

Tadidesign
Helpful | Level 5

Anybody could bring some help please??

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I'm sorry to hear about this @Tadidesign - let's have a look now!

As you mentioned that this problem occurs with your Office files, could you try to re-install both Office and our desktop app on the affected computer and let me know if the issue persists?

Thanks in advance and welcome to our Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Tadidesign
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, i've re-install both Office and Dropbox after erasing them from my HD folowing microsoft process and it worked for me. I've tried somes Word files, Excel files and it seems to be OK. I think the problem was the Office installation, escpecially Word...

So it's fine for now... 😉

Thx! Fred

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for following up and letting us know about this Fred - it's most appreciated!

I'm glad to hear this is sorted now and please let us know if any issue or Dropbox question comes up; we're merely a post away :grin:

Have a lovely day @Tadidesign!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Timo4
Explorer | Level 3

About a month ago the same problem started on my notebook.

When I try to open any Dropbox folder using Windows 10 File Explorer, Windows File explorer freezes.

I can however open Excel and Word files stored in Dropbox from within Word and Excel (File>Open) without a problem.

Did an advance reinstall of Dropbox and re-sync of all files but the problem remains unsolved. Windows File Explorer still freezes when I try to open any Dropbox stored files.

I can open files in the Dropbox (Old) directory without File Explorer freezing.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

biseyre New member | Level 2
    renatopcamara New member | Level 2
    grezzny New member | Level 2
    mmarcinkevicz Explorer | Level 4
    Vorter New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?