cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

TazzyT
Explorer | Level 4

This did work for a couple weeks but then the issue returned. 

I never had these issues until the update came out with the new Smartsync and the Desktop App that can replace the windows explorer.  Unfortunately, I do not find the Desktop App to be usable with how I work with DropBox.  If I had a copy of the latest install before these "features" were introduced I would definitely roll back because I am easily losing 30-45min a day in productivity to this issue!

I have also tried Solutions 1-4 in the following article however they only work for a limited time - 2min to a week+: https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/file-explorer-not-responding-windows-10.html

Dropbox needs to get this issue fixed or roll back the desktop app untill they do get it fixed.  There is a direct issue or conflict between Windows Explorer and the Desktop App of Dropbox.

parksjw
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem, tried everything with no success.

Finally reinstalled dropbox and changed the default directory.  When the files downloaded to the new directory and synced, file explorer was able to open all files no problem.

I used a directory off of c:\

I'm running Windows 10 with the windows defender antivirus and firewall.

dascorp
New member | Level 2

Hi

I noticed this on word document files with the preview enabled when on focusing on the file name it freezes the windows explorer; with no preview, there is no issue. I think it may be related to local file not being fully synced so windows explorer preview reads rubbish / residual data from the local storage drive and flips the table and freezes. 

Dropbox devs could you test this use case, please?

SteveGSantaFe
Explorer | Level 4

This thread started in Sept of 2018.  These problems continue to occur and there seems to be no evidence of an understanding of the problem or - more importantly - how to consistently solve the problem.  I for one have given up and decided to focus my time on more productive efforts and my money on a solution that works.  I find that google drive works just as I expect it to.  I've paid for expanded storage and move everything there were I can stop wasting 30-60 seconds for every click I was making in the dropbox folder.

I recommend others seriously consider making the move and investment since Dropbox has failed to demonstrate a commitment to service, satisfaction or excellence.  Good luck to those who are still suffering thru this nightmare or who don't have a choice in the matter.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, thanks for your updates and apologies for the delayed reply here!

If anyone is still experiencing issues with this, I'd be happy to look into this further with you, taking into account all the troubleshooting you've done previously or mentioned here.

Please submit a ticket here and let me know here the ticket number (eg. #1234567) that you receive.

If you already have a recent case open with our team, then please just let me know the ticket number.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JS24
New member | Level 2

We were having the same problem: Using Dropbox synced to our PC, trying to open a file in Explorer would cause it to freeze and then Windows Explorer would be "not responding."  We reinstalled Dropbox several times.  We did an "Advanced Reinstall" of Dropbox, that also didn't work.

We noticed that it was only happening with MS Office files (word, excel, ppt).  So, our last try was to reinstall Office 365.  So far, THAT has seemed to work.

Just wanted to share in case other people are checking this thread.  The issue seems to be pervasive, and the Dropbox Tech Support we talked to did not seem to have this solution in his checklist.  (Neither did Dell, to be fair.)

SteveGSantaFe
Explorer | Level 4

I need to apologize.  I've been hard on Dropbox in this thread.  I started having problems with other cloud storage and synch platforms including MS OneDrive.  Ultimately the only one I never had problems with was Google backup and sync.   I finally bit the bullet and contacted MS and ultimately reinstalled my Windows 10 PRO OS and then reinstalled all my apps and programs.  Now I am having not problems with Dropbox or any of the other cloud storage & synch platforms.  They all behave as expected.

It is a fairly new Dell Vostro (about 6 months old).  I tried to install one of the many Dell apps and immediately started crashing the PC.  I got that app uninstalled and no more problems since then.  I suspect there was a conflict somewhere between drivers, the Dell bloatware and the OS that created problems but I'm just happy things are now working.  

I only shared all this to give others an idea of what may be required - It isn't a fun one to consider and go thru but it does work.

vitoriocj
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I have been facing the same issue in my notebook (folder works perfectly in my other PC though).

Whenever I try to browse to my dropbox folder and open any folders, Windows 10 explorer frezzes.

I alredy tried to reinstall, to turn off the bitdefender + firewall, and nothing seems to work. Please help me out here.

Tks! 😃

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vitoriocj, I'm sorry to hear you're having the same issue.

You mentioned that you reinstalled, was this an advanced reinstall? If not, can you try the advanced reinstall to see if that does the trick.

If you're still having issues after trying this then here are a few things that others mentioned have resolved this issue for them:

• Reinstalling Office 365
  • Reinstalling Windows OS

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SteveGSantaFe
Explorer | Level 4

Do yourself a favor before going down the road with DB... they wasted months and hours of my time.  Install MS Onesource and have it back up your documents directory.  Then if you have similar performance issue with it in file explorer, just do a reinstall of the OS. MS can help

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

biseyre New member | Level 2
    renatopcamara New member | Level 2
    grezzny New member | Level 2
    mmarcinkevicz Explorer | Level 4
    Vorter New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?