cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox app hangs at Set Up Dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been using Dropbox without issue on this Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop for years, but suddenly when trying to link a team Dropbox folder to my personal Dropbox on this machine (at least one desktop of my office works fine) the Set Up Dropbox window hangs on just a blank (black) screen. I tried uninstalling the Dropbox app on this computer, now reinstalling results in the same failure.

The other odd behavior I've observed is that when I tried to accomplish the link from the Dropbox.com website, it would fail when I tried to enter the credentials for my personal dropbox account (despite confirming with my password manager that I'm entering the correct email address and password) with a cryptic error that just says I have to link to a personal account, as if it can't find the account I've been using for years. I can sign into that account directly on Dropbox.com, but when I go through the steps of linking my team and personal account, it doesn't recognize the personal account. And now I can't seem to reinstall the Dropbox desktop app on this computer.

I'm stumped.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox app hangs at Set Up Dropbox

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
We fetch that content from online. If the window was white then it'd be a slightly different issue, but for black:

- might be remoting in
- the display settings aren't set correctly
- graphics card driver might need updating
- could be an underlying issue with Qt

Wouldn't be permissions related, I don't think. Also there should be no popup there.

Pretty much a black setup window (as in the screenshot) is a result of a RDP / remote login where one of the machines isn't set to 32 bit colour.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox hangs.jpg

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

@rgarretson

It looks like Aero is turned off on your windows? Are you using 16-bit color? I ask this because 16-bit color will turn off aero functionality.

It could be that the reason that the window is showing up black has to do with some sort of graphics setting or just a general fail of your graphics card. If you're using 16-bit color I could see that programmers might not have accounted for that case while testing the installer. I would start by making sure you are displaying at 32-bit color to see if that fixes the black window.

Hopefully this helps you with the installer being black.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Changed to 32-bit color and same result. The problem is that the Set Up Dropbox dialog hangs, not that the window is black. And can anyone tell me why I couldn't sign-in with the same username I created yesterday? When I tried to sign in, there was no place to enter my username (and I don't think I was asked to create a password yesterday), it just had me create a new account, and again, no password prompt. But this is the same rgarretson who reported this problem yesterday.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
A black setup window generally happens when you're remoting into a computer, if you're using Team Viewer or any remote access software, I'd make sure you are going directly, on the actual machine.
That might help?
Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

@Ross_S wrote:
A black setup window generally happens when you're remoting into a computer, if you're using Team Viewer or any remote access software, I'd make sure you are going directly, on the actual machine.
That might help

@  @garretsonr

To Ross's point, the reason it is hanging might have something to do with permissions. This is a common reason for installers to hang. Also, it could be that you are being asked in a pop-up that you cannot see about the installation. Especially if the host machine has multiple desktops.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
We fetch that content from online. If the window was white then it'd be a slightly different issue, but for black:

- might be remoting in
- the display settings aren't set correctly
- graphics card driver might need updating
- could be an underlying issue with Qt

Wouldn't be permissions related, I don't think. Also there should be no popup there.

Pretty much a black setup window (as in the screenshot) is a result of a RDP / remote login where one of the machines isn't set to 32 bit colour.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

@Ross

Maybe I should be more clear, the pop up part was in reference to the hanging of the installation, not the black window.  : )

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?