Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox app not working - Uninstalling/reinstalling neither

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

A few days ago my Dropbox app stopped working on my Win 10 laptop. The icon is not in the taskbar anymore, and files are not syncing. I've tried several things I found online, but everything has been unsuccessful.

When I tried to open manually the Dropbox app by double-clicking on C:\Program Files(x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe, I get a very weird message saying that "Windows cannot find C:\Program Files(x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.", which is very strange because that's exactly the file I'm opening. The same thing happens when I execute it as admin.

So then I tried with a reinstall. Both the online and the offline installer with and without running them as admin seem to do nothing. The installation is completed, but the installer never ask me where I want to install Dropbox, etc. The client still didn't open and is still not syncing (even after rebooting).

Then, I tried to uninstall. Ran the uninstaller from "Add or remove programs", but I got a message saying that it failed to uninstall. So I then went to "C:\Program Files(x86)\Dropbox\Client" and executed the uninstaller directly. It only worked after running it as admin. The message was that uninstallation was successful, but the files were still there on the %ProgramFiles(x86)% folder. After installing Dropbox again, nothing happened. No client, no sync.

Finally, I tried an advanced reinstall (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall). So ran the uninstaller in %ProgramFiles(x86)%, and then had to manually delete all Dropbox system files in %AppData%, %LocalAppData", etc. I successfully delete all files except DropboxExt.27.0.dll in %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Dropbox\Client. Not even forcing deletion in the command line as admin worked. Either way, I reinstalled Dropbox and still is not working.

Any ideas? To me, it seems that I exhausted all options I found online, and nothing seems to work. It cannot be that hard to install a program that suddenly stopped working...

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox app not working - Uninstalling/reinstalling neither

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @looper77, so sorry to hear you are having trouble. 

Thanks for posting all the steps you've tried already. From what you are describing, it seems like something is blocking Dropbox from operating. 

Do you have any security programs, proxies or a firewall that could be blocking Dropbox? 

Let me know! Thanks. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?