cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox applet stuck on "Connecting" on Fedora 30

Dropbox applet stuck on "Connecting" on Fedora 30

knor
Helpful | Level 5

Right clicking the Dropbox applet icon in the notification area displays the menu, but the first item is "Connecting..." and remains that way indefinitely.

Normally, it would contain details like the amount of storage used, recent files accessed, and allow opening the dropbox folder. Other menu entries work fine, such as Preferences, Help Center, and Quit.

Dropbox was working correctly before upgrading to Fedora 30. After upgrading everything still functions, including syncing of files.

I have tried reinstalling dropbox, and changing proxy from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy".

Fedora 30, MATE 1.22.1, Dropbox v72.3.127

39 Replies 39

Re: Dropbox applet stuck on "Connecting" on Fedora 30

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @knor,

I noticed that you are currently running a beta version of the desktop app ( XXX.3.XXX ). Can you please go to your Account page and uncheck the “Early releases” option towards the bottom. Then, please download and install the latest stable version of the app.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue, can you please check your firewall configuration to allow the desktop app permission to connect to the internet. Also, please check out this article here for more info on what could be the reason for this error.

Let me know if this helps - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

knor
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne thanks for your reply.

I disabled "Early Release" in my Account. I did not even realize I was signed up for beta versions.

Installing the package from the page you linked gives Dropbox v71.4.108. This is the same version as what is installed from Fedora's rpmfusion repository after disabling "Early Releases". I checked. It is the most recent stable build according to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/bd-p/101003016

In both cases, the behavior is exactly the same as before: Dropbox installs, launches, syncs, and generally functions as expected, except for the endlessly "Connecting..." first entry in the right click menu of the applet icon.

I also tried temporarily disabling the firewall with "sudo systemctl stop firewalld" but it made no difference.

As far as I can tell, none of the situations in the last link you provided apply in this case.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey again @knor

Can you try unlinking and then relinking (by signing in to) your desktop app to see if you still experience the same behaviour? Please do bear in mind the 3 device limit on Dropbox Basic accounts, we can try something else if you currently have more than 3 devices connected.

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

knor
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks again, @Daphne 

Unlinking and relinking my device, and making sure I have less than 3 linked devices has not changed the behavior.

My device was listed as linked many times due to all the times I've installed/uninstalled Dropbox while troubleshooting. I had no idea about the newly introduced limit of 3 devices. That's disappointing. But at the moment it does not affect me.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @knor,

Thanks for trying that for me! The number of linked devices shouldn’t affect the way the desktop app works, I just didn’t want you to go ahead with removing a device you had linked if you wouldn’t be able to link it back again!

Would it be alright to reach out to the email address you have associated with your Community profile so that we can move over to our Support channel? This will allow me to have a better look at this from my side with all the tools I have available.

Let me know if this is okay - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

knor
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Daphne 

Yes, you can contact me at my email address. I appreciate your efforts.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @knor,

I’ve reached out to you through our Support channel, please check your inbox when it's convenient. I appreciate your cooperation!

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

mtclare
New member | Level 2

I think this might have to do with Fedora 30.. As soon as I upgraded my Dropbox stopped working too.

knor
Helpful | Level 5

For me, Dropbox functions and syncs without issues other than the endlessly "Connecting" entry in the applet icon right-click menu.

I've made a few observations:

- https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/ does not yet have a subdirectory for Fedora 30. Previously, similar situations arose when Fedora 27 and 28 were released. https://github.com/dropbox/nautilus-dropbox/issues/41 It was mentioned in those cases that the rpm packages were identical for the different OS releases.

- During the installation of the wrapper package on the command line (called "nautilus-dropbox" from Dropbox's download link, or "dropbox" in Fedora's repository), there is a mention of an error importing a key:
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (Resource temporarily unavailable)
error: -: key 1 import failed.
That lock file is created during the installation process. I have deleted it manually and it is recreated (and not removed) every time nautilus-dropbox is installed. An error importing a key could possibly cause communication issues, but I don't have further details.

- I have compared the these key files with the "diff" command, and there is no difference: https://linux.dropbox.com/fedora/rpm-public-key.asc versus /usr/share/distribution-gpg-keys/dropbox/rpm-public-key.asc

- The installation of dropbox the first time it is run with "dropbox start -i" (after the nautilus-dropbox wrapper package is installed) sometimes fails. This command downloads dropbox but sometimes complains that the signature does not match and it then aborts installation. However, sometimes when it is retried, the error does not come up and it succeeds with the installation.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?