cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox application just opens a Finder window now - won't open app!

Dropbox application just opens a Finder window now - won't open app!

Michael L.80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I run the Dropbox application on Mojave or Cataline Mac OS, instead of the application, it just opens a new Finder window. I want the application back - how do I run it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Michael L.80 wrote:

hmm my Preferences doesn't look like yours and it doesn't have that option. Here is what I see:

I'm on Windows so it looks a bit different, but the same option is right there in your screenshot. Just change it to Dropbox desktop app.

2e551693ff01f58d3ac24abf3a9e47fc.jpg

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Michael L.80 wrote:

When I run the Dropbox application on Mojave or Cataline Mac OS, instead of the application, it just opens a new Finder window. I want the application back - how do I run it?

Go into Dropbox Preferences and make sure it's set to open folders in the app, and not Finder.

63da025c17508519e4be33c13c8397ab.png

Michael L.80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

hmm my Preferences doesn't look like yours and it doesn't have that option. Here is what I see:

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 4.26.03 PM.jpg

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Michael L.80 wrote:

I'm on Windows so it looks a bit different, but the same option is right there in your screenshot. Just change it to Dropbox desktop app.

2e551693ff01f58d3ac24abf3a9e47fc.jpg

GarethA
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there,

Tried opening the MAC desktop app after a few weeks of not using it. Only opens the finder window not the app. I have uninstalled and re-installed the app, no change. 

Tried a few of the other solutions suggested on the community pages and no change.

- Unlinking computer and signing in again from setting on dropbox.com

- accessing preferences from icon on the menu bar (options described in the help forum were not available.

Mac OS is High Sierra 10.13

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GarethA
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am having the same problem and when I open preferences I only have the first two drop down menus. The option Open Folders In is not there.

I have uninstalled and re-installed twice. Shut down and restarted. No change

The app was working fine 2 weeks ago and as far as I can remember there have been no OS updates in that time.

Please advise

MTibbs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Like GarethA, I am having the same issue where I cannot open my Dropbox desktop app - it only opens in Finder. I opened my Dropbox Preferences, but I can't find the "Open Folder In" dropdown. Please advise!

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 7.13.41 PM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey guys, happy Wednesday!

Dropbox remains focused on helping our customers stay organized and work more efficiently. With this focus, we’re simplifying your desktop experience with improvements to Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, and the taskbar/menu bar.

Support for the desktop window ended on Jan 17, 2022.

Don’t worry—we're continuing to support a great desktop app experience for you and your content is still safe with us.

You can still save, view, share, and access all your files with the Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer/macOS Finder, the taskbar/menu bar, on dropbox.com, and from the latest iOS and Android apps.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if anything comes up.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wendy_mugridge
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't know what this means Don’t worry—we're continuing to support a great desktop app experience for you

You said that the support ended but that you are continuing to support the app?

Does this mean that you are going to relaunch the ability to run the app on our MACs as an app and not through finder?

Thanks.

Wendy

MTibbs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

I am also confused by this response. I have an Apple laptop computer (specifically a MacBook Air M1 2020 with MacOs Monterey). Will Dropbox be able to help assist me and others with this Dropbox App issue? I am hoping that when I click the Dropbox App in my Dock (bottom of screen), that it will open the App and not in Finder. I was able to open the Dropbox App without Finder yesterday morning and toward the evening, I was unable to do so. I am not sure if this information is helpful, but I didn't do any update to my computer yesterday. Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mcgweno New member | Level 2
    mercy_gt Helpful | Level 6
    LK55 New member | Level 2
    driccio New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?