cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox asks if I want to remove a document right after I save it

Dropbox asks if I want to remove a document right after I save it

dimalique
Helpful | Level 6

For the last couple of days, whenever I have saved a Photoshop or an Illustrator document to Dropbox, I have received a pop-up message right afterwards that says:

"Remove "name of document" from your Dropbox account and all devices? If you move this file to $Deleted, it won't be available in Dropbox or on any devices."

I want to know how 'save' is being translated into 'delete'. I don't feel comfortable saving to Dropbox now, because I don't want to lose what I'm working on. Yes, I click on Cancel, but I have no guarantee that this will work every time (after all, I'm saving the documents and I'm getting "do you want to delete"). Does it possibly have anything to do with Dropbox telling me it will take 2 days for my files to sync? (BTW, I have the fastest internet I can buy and have checked the "Don't Limit" bandwidth option on my desktop. On my laptops, I have "Limit to" checked and put in a huge number just so I can get a couple kb Word doc to upload in under a day. I've been fighting this poor upload speed for months, and find it very frustrating since I don't have this difficulty with any other service I subscribe to).

53 Replies 53

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dbhvp. I lfollowed up the ticket we have together. 

It is already escalated by Walter. Added notes to it regarding the version 89.4 to mention that it did not fix this for you. The specialized agent assisting you will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

B3K
Explorer | Level 3

I am receiving the Dropbox message "Remove 'filename' from your Dropbox account and all devices?" while running the application YNAB (You Need A Budget - www.youneedabudget.com).

Operating system:  Windows 10 PRO Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Application:  YNAB 4 v4.3.857, which has been depricated

Dropbox version:  89.4.278

The application has been working with Dropbox until today Feb 3, 2020.

I reviewed this thread and did not find a permanent solution.  What is the status of this problem?

Respectfully,

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @B3K. Sorry to hear you are getting this error. 

I understand that the YNAB app on your desktop is deleting files. What are the steps you are getting to generate this error? Are you trying to save or move the files?

I believe the version of YNAB you have there has the option to sync your files. Do you have the YNAB sync mode on? 

If this is the case, YNAB syncing on top of Dropbox syncing could you be what is causing this issue. 

The error message you are getting is a system warning that explains that if a file get's deleted from your Dropbox desktop  app, it will get removed from the Dropbox cloud and all the devices syncing with it. 

Thanks for the additional information!

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

mkjoycey
New member | Level 2

Hi, jumping on this as well as I'm having the same issue when saving files using Bricscad (CAD software) and am keen to get a resolution.

B3K
Explorer | Level 3

I got around the problem by

1.  pausing the dropbox sync feature,

2.  starting the YNAB application and doing my updates,

3.  closing YNAB, and

4.  finally resuming the dropbox sync feature.

As I checked the execution of the YNAB today, I found the message did not appears and dropbox was working as previously.  Upon further investigation I found the dropbox had been upgraded from 89.4.278 to 90.4.307.

Perhaps the upgrade of dropbox corrected the problem.  I will monitor and report back. 

==================

Fiona, here are the answers to the question you asked:

What are the steps you are getting to generate this error? Simply start the YNAB application

Are you trying to save or move the files?  No, only start the YNAB application

I believe the version of YNAB you have there has the option to sync your files. Do you have the YNAB sync mode on?  Yes YNAB sync is active.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mkjoycey thanks for joining our discussion. 

Is this CAD app, syncing the files live? So you get the error when performing an action or when you just start the app? 

@B3K This is the right workaround for "live"- syncing files. Syncing on syncing is not a good idea. This problem and the workaround is described here. 

I understand it is not an ideal solution. But pausing is safe and will definitely work. 

Feel free to ask more questions! 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

mkjoycey
New member | Level 2
Hi Fiona
I get the error message when attempting to save a file while working in the program. Similar to other users if I pause live sync the issue is resolved, however would prefer not to do this as it involves remembering to re-start.

thejerrybryan
Helpful | Level 5

I got into this thread in the first place because suddenly I was receiving the message that Dropbox was wanting to delete a file from all my devices. Then the thread sort of morphed into a discussion of problems with certain files where the problems seemed to be caused by Dropbox's syncing activity - hence the need to pause Dropbox.

I'm obviously much more concerned about the second issue than the first one. But unless I have missed it, I have not seen an answer to the first issue. When Dropbox sends me a message that asks for permission to remove a file from all my devices, what does that even mean? Why is it doing that?

thejerrybryan
Helpful | Level 5

Both of my applications that run into problems associated with Dropbox syncing activity have in common that they are using an SQLite database and that the database is being updated on an ongoing and somewhat continuous basis rather than being updated with a File>Save at the end of a session with the software. One of my applications with the problem is the genealogy application RootsMagic and my other application with the problem Microsoft's Visual Studio which I use to develop C++ programs.

I haven't seen this issue arise on any VS forums, but there have been active discussions on the RM forums for years about problems associated with using RM with Dropbox and about the need for to pause Dropbox while using RM. Just recently, a very skilled RM user has reported that OneDrive seems to avoid syncing an RM database that is is actively being updated whereas Dropbox does not. I'm sensitive to discussion a competitive produce on a Dropbox platform, but it does make me curious what OneDrive is doing to solve this problem that Dropbox is not. It also makes me curious if perhaps Microsoft had to introduce support into OneDrive to avoid syncing any databases while they were being actively updated because they introduced the use of SQLite into VS in 2015. So perhaps Microsoft identified a problem with OneDrive syncing an SQLite database that was being used by VS, and perhaps that was the motivation for Microsoft to address the problem.

drumby
Helpful | Level 6

Me too. The dreaded:

"Remove " FILE NAME" fomr your Dropbox account and all devices?

Er, no! I'm just trying to save the file, as per normal!

I'm having it in Excel and Chief Architect when I save a file I'm working on, or when the software tries to do a background save. It's scary - is Dropbox about to delete an invaluable file on "all devices" and crash my business?! I pay Dropbox to get more security, not LESS, not to delete all my work!!

This has only happened in the last few weeks, never happened in the past with Dropbox. I'm using Dropbox 90.4.307.

I've sent a help email to Dropbox, really hoping this can be sorted with an update asap.

Scratching my head as to how this can be allowed to be released as an update....

Any advice gratefully received.

Need more support?