cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox backup info

Dropbox backup info

superdave_x
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, if I set up my desktop backup to Dropbox, will it also backup shortcut/alias folders? And all that they have inside them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox backup info

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @superdave_x; thanks for posting on our Community!

To directly get to the chase, you'll be able to back-up shortcuts/aliases to Dropbox, but those will be mere shortcuts to the locations they point to and they'll probably work only on the machine you created them on.

For context, you can have symlinks that link to items both in and outside of your Dropbox account; however, these two types of symlinks sync differently.

• If you create a symlink that links to an item in your Dropbox account, we’ll sync the the symlink file at its location and the item that it links to at its location respectively
  • If you create a symlink that links to an item outside of your Dropbox account, when you sign in to dropbox.com you’ll only see the symlink file but not the content it links to.

I hope this helps, Dave! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox backup info

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @superdave_x; thanks for posting on our Community!

To directly get to the chase, you'll be able to back-up shortcuts/aliases to Dropbox, but those will be mere shortcuts to the locations they point to and they'll probably work only on the machine you created them on.

For context, you can have symlinks that link to items both in and outside of your Dropbox account; however, these two types of symlinks sync differently.

• If you create a symlink that links to an item in your Dropbox account, we’ll sync the the symlink file at its location and the item that it links to at its location respectively
  • If you create a symlink that links to an item outside of your Dropbox account, when you sign in to dropbox.com you’ll only see the symlink file but not the content it links to.

I hope this helps, Dave! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?