cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox bandwidth limit ineffective.

Dropbox bandwidth limit ineffective.

fulvio314
Explorer | Level 4

While Dropbox is uploading, it takes the whole bandwidth (1000kB/s) even if the limit is set to 'automatic' or any numeric value. At this very moment it is set to 300 and I read 996 by a bw meter. This blocks every internet activity on my pc (and on every other home device connected, as well).

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox bandwidth limit ineffective.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @fulvio314, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to the Community!

Could you please send me a screenshot so that I can have a look too?

Also, what is the app's exact status and version as shown in your system tray/menu bar?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fulvio314
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your help.

I'm using Dropbox v132.4.3800 and the status (while uploading) is "sync in progress", the small blue circlet on the sys icon.

Here you can see the bw set to 300 and the actual upload speed measure (the green band is the history graph). In my opinion, there should be some kind of bug preventing dropbox from sensing or acting on the bw.

Screenshot 2021-09-29 07.25.38.png

Walter
Dropboxer
Could you please reinstall the app and let me know if it shows the same behavior @fulvio314?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fulvio314
Explorer | Level 4

Done, unfortunately the problem is still there.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @fulvio314, are you certain about the measurements, because you're showing Dropbox has KB/s (kilobytes per second) and the bandwidth monitor has kB/s (kilobits per second)?

300 KB/s is equal to 2400 kB/s, so technically Dropbox is restricting it, but your internet connection might not be able to reach that speed to begin with, tapping out at 1056 kB/s.

If you do a speed test via the internet, what is the maximum speed showing for your ISP upload connection?

Just so you know, in reverse, 1056 kB/s according to your first image should be 132 KB/s in Dropbox. Try reducing it to below that limit in the desktop app to see if this helps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

fulvio314
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay,

yes I am. See these pics of my meter.

Options settings, where you can choose Kilobytes per second (kB/sec) or Kilobits per second (kbps):

Screenshot 2021-10-01 09.15.30.png

The same speed of the former screeshot, but measured in kbps:

Screenshot 2021-10-01 10.58.51.png

The ratio is 1/7.5, quite near the theoretical 1/8.

I tested the dropbox upload bw to a bunch of values around 132 KB/s and nothing changed, viceversa 10 or 20 had a heavy effect.

I feel that this could be the right way to run... I want to test it systematically, 10, 20, 30 and so on and then I'll report here. I also want to perform an internet speed test clean, with and without phones and tv connected.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fulvio314 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?