cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox cannot be started

Dropbox cannot be started

QTT
Helpful | Level 5

For several days I can't start dropbox on laptop, I got this message:
sww.jpg
"dropbox service error.
The dropbox application can not be started.
This is most likely due to incorrect permissions. Storing your user folder on a network share can also cause this error.
"

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 73.4.118
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: 27.0
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 61166ed7-5f99-45a3-a335-9f0615d88f1f
pid: 41772
cwd: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\Spa4Garden\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Spa4Garden\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: 'C:\\Users\\Spa4Garden\\Dropbox'
real_path='C:\\Users\\Spa4Garden\\Dropbox'
mode=0o40555 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\73.4.118\\python-packages-37.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\73.4.118\\python-packages-37.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\SPA4GA~1\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\SPA4GA~1\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:\\Users\\SPA4GA~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
real_path='C:\\Users\\SPA4GA~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 296, in execute
sqlite3.OperationalError: disk I/O error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "dropbox\client\databases.pyc", line 295, in load_dropbox_config
File "dropbox\client\config.pyc", line 198, in __init__
File "dropbox\client\config.pyc", line 75, in create_tables
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 301, in execute
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 266, in _raise_better_operational_exception
File "six.pyc", line 692, in reraise
dropbox.sqlite3_exceptions.DiskIOError

sqlite3.OperationalError: disk I/O error

File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 7166, in main_startup
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 3206, in run
File "dropbox\client\configuration\manager.pyc", line 235, in load_config
File "dropbox\client\databases.pyc", line 312, in load_dropbox_config
File "dropbox\client\config.pyc", line 198, in __init__
File "dropbox\client\config.pyc", line 75, in create_tables
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 301, in execute
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 266, in _raise_better_operational_exception
File "six.pyc", line 692, in reraise
dropbox.sqlite3_exceptions.DiskIOError

Thanks for help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox cannot be started

QTT
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Walter ,these are the steps I did and it helped (I must say Dropbox has really fast and good support!)

1) Quit Dropbox:

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel, and select "Quit Dropbox".

2) Uninstall Dropbox:

• Click on the Start button in the bottom left of your screen, and select Control Panel (7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, 8).
  • Click "Uninstall a Program".
  • Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".

Or follow the steps outlined in our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

3) When the uninstall finishes, please restart your computer to ensure that the uninstall is complete.

4) After this, please proceed to delete remaining registry entries:

a) Click the Start button. Type REGEDIT in the search box and press Enter.
b) In the Registry Editor, navigate into the following locations until you find the keys for "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate", they will be in either or both of the following two locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
c) In both or either of these folders, please delete only the "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" folders by right-clicking on the individual folders and selecting "Delete".

5) Then, please delete the Dropbox remaining folders:

a) Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer).
b) Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs) and press enter.
c) Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the resulting window.
d) Please repeat these steps with the following folders as well (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of those locations):
%APPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%
e) Then restart your system.

Please note that deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

6) Download the newest version of Dropbox from the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

7) Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the installation file and double click on it.

😎 During the initial setup and sign in process apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder, for example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @QTT, sorry to hear that. 

In general, Dropbox is reporting an Operational disk I/O error means that Dropbox can't read from your hard drive and it’s usually indicative of an underlying hardware issue.

I’d highly recommend that you have your hard drive backed up and checked by a professional. You can learn how to check your hard disk for errors in Windows OS here.

I hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

QTT
Helpful | Level 5

@Lusil, thanks for your reply.

I checked hard disk as you suggested, but there was no errors. Also other apps are working well, there is a problem only with Dropbox. I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Lusil
Dropboxer
In general, this type of error occurs when the app can’t read from the device due to an operational error.

Nonetheless, I was able to locate the open communication you have from my end and can see that it’s under review by a member of the team. I’ve passed your comments along and they’ll get back to you as soon as they have more info on this for you.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation, @QTT:slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @QTT - I'm merely checking back with you on this one; were you able to resolve your concern in the end and if so, what did the trick for you? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

QTT
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Walter ,these are the steps I did and it helped (I must say Dropbox has really fast and good support!)

1) Quit Dropbox:

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel, and select "Quit Dropbox".

2) Uninstall Dropbox:

• Click on the Start button in the bottom left of your screen, and select Control Panel (7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, 8).
  • Click "Uninstall a Program".
  • Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".

Or follow the steps outlined in our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

3) When the uninstall finishes, please restart your computer to ensure that the uninstall is complete.

4) After this, please proceed to delete remaining registry entries:

a) Click the Start button. Type REGEDIT in the search box and press Enter.
b) In the Registry Editor, navigate into the following locations until you find the keys for "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate", they will be in either or both of the following two locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
c) In both or either of these folders, please delete only the "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" folders by right-clicking on the individual folders and selecting "Delete".

5) Then, please delete the Dropbox remaining folders:

a) Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer).
b) Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs) and press enter.
c) Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the resulting window.
d) Please repeat these steps with the following folders as well (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of those locations):
%APPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%
e) Then restart your system.

Please note that deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

6) Download the newest version of Dropbox from the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

7) Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the installation file and double click on it.

😎 During the initial setup and sign in process apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

To select your already established folder on your drive, after signing in and choosing which folders to sync, and before you click on "Open my Dropbox folder", you should see an "Advanced Settings" link, click on this.

Then you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder, for example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox (Team)" you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder".

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

View solution in original post

Lusil
Dropboxer
Thanks for letting us know, @QTT! Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end. 

If you have any other questions in the future, don’t hesitate to get back to us. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?