cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox causes Mac to freeze on startup

Dropbox causes Mac to freeze on startup

swj500
Explorer | Level 4

Every time I start up my Mac, or log in to my user profile, it takes me 10 minutes before I can use the computer. As Dropbox app starts, it freezes everything. The mouse does not even move. Once it reaches the point of 'syncing' (which takes nearly 10 minutes) I can 'pause sync' to speed things up again, but I cannot even do that at the start. Looking at this community I see that this is a common problem and I would like to know if there is now a solution? It seems that they are simply incompatible and that is a shame - I have a paid-for Dropbox account that I have had for years and I now feel I probably need to get rid of it since it is making my computer stop working.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox causes Mac to freeze on startup

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @swj500, thanks for checking in with us. 

As a first step, could you have a look at this article which has a few reasons and ways to tackle high CPU/RAM usage? Maybe one of them will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

swj500
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I had seen this article before in other threads on this site. No, nothing here is helpful. I have everything installed on selective sync so it should not be the numbers of files. It does not happen with my laptop (running Windows), just with my Mac.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @swj500

Have you also tried the following steps in the exact order listed? Maybe they will do the trick:

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the Option/Alt key.
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button (make sure you're still holding down the Option/Alt key).
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.

Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing and, if you're still having trouble, repeat steps 1-6, but at step 7, click on Fix Permissions, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

swj500
Explorer | Level 4

Hello

I did these things but it has made no difference. There is a period of nearly 10 minutes after the Drobox icon first appears in the system tray, when the whole computer freezes up. If you hover over the icon it just says 'starting'. After about 10 minutes it moves to 'syncing', which is quick because I use it every day. At that point you can pause it if necessary, but during the 'starting' period there is nothing that can be done at all.

I think I may just need to remove Dropbox.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information, @swj500

Out of curiosity, are you running the latest stable version of the desktop app (101.4.434)? 

Could you also check how many files you have syncing in your Dropbox folder? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    swj500 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?