cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox causing other application windows to lose focus

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've been noticing this bug for a while now. Dropbox appears to take focus away from some application's windows if the user is not active for about 5 minutes. I notice this most often in PowerPoint, I run PowerPoint a lot for corporate meetings, and I like to keep my backup machine in slide sorter mode, and just arrow through the slides to keep up with the main computer as the show progresses. If I don't touch the computer for about 5 minutes, suddenly all focus is taken away from the active PowerPoint window and now since nothing has focus, no keyboard commands work at all, even quitting the app. The second I click on any part of the window or menubar, focus comes back. I'm on a MacBook Pro with the most recent versions of High Sierra, Office 365, and Dropbox. I looked into this a while ago, and found a terminal command (now forgotten) that showed the active applications in real-time, and just at the moment that focus was lost, Dropbox was doing something. If I quit Dropbox, I can leave the computer for hours, and never lose focus. It's not a huge bug, but is quite annoying when suddenly the keyboard appears to stop working, and you have to go click on something to get it back.

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox causing other application windows to lose focus

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @scottftek - sorry to hear about this.

May I reach out to you via email to the address you use for your forum's profile in order to have a look into this internally with all of my tools available? 

Let me know and we'll take it from there Scott. Thanks in advance and happy October! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

Yes you can contact me. I was on show-site when I posted, but I'm now back in the office.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I just did Scott - check your email's inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance for your reply and have a great day @scottftek - talk to you soon via email 

Cheers!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Shame there is no link to the resolution of this Dropbox.....do I have to hunt elsewhere when this is the top result from Google for this issue?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Jason - sorry for the slight delay in my response. 

May I reach out via email to your Dropbox associated address to work on this together? 

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yes, that is fine. Note that I am having  this issue on 2 of my machines. One of which is a media server - so I do not wish to have interruptions as this causes the main application to lose focus.

I have resolved this on one machine by just setting the Dropbox Badge to Never Show in Dropbox Preferences.

However, I have not had to do this in the previous 10 years I have been using Dropbox

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for that Jason - I just sent you an email (ticket with ID:8972682 ) so we can have a further look into this with all of my tools available. 

Cheers!

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Was this fixed - if i try to access the ticket its saying page does not exist

My dropbox is still doing it and its affecting when I game and its a game changer 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I found that the issue was tied to a buggy beta Dropbox client.

To resolve the issue, login to your account, go to General & disable Early Releases. Then  download the latest software from http://dropbox.com/download.  Upon installation, it will check if you are an Early Release candidate, and when it sees that you are not, it will install the latest stable client.

If you do not do this, you will be stuck with the buggy beta client.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?