cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Dropbox client] Warning dialog when creating a link to all your folder files

[Dropbox client] Warning dialog when creating a link to all your folder files

8bitbubsy
New member | Level 2

Sometimes when I'm selecting a file in my Dropbox folder in Windows and click "Copy Dropbox link", I manage to mess it up so that no file was actually selected, and it ends up creating a link to a .zip of the whole Dropbox folder, with all my personal stuff. I don't really notice this, and I end up giving the link to the person that was supposed to have just one file. All of this from one simple misclick in Windows.

As I realize what I have done, I hurry over to dropbox.com and log in, and delete the link so that it's invalid. However, I found out that if someone managed to start downloading before I deleted the link, it seems like they can actually finish the download after the link was invalidated. Not good...

The worst part is that this has happened to me several times. It's a huge security problem. So please, would one of the devs consider implementing a warning dialog in the Windows Dropbox client that tells the user that you are about to create a link to all of your folder files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: [Dropbox client] Warning dialog when creating a link to all your folder files

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @8bitbubsy, thanks for posting on our Community today!

And thanks a lot for this feedback. I will gladly pass your comments along to the people responsible.

If you have any further questions or feedback, make sure to give us a shout!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: [Dropbox client] Warning dialog when creating a link to all your folder files

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @8bitbubsy, thanks for posting on our Community today!

And thanks a lot for this feedback. I will gladly pass your comments along to the people responsible.

If you have any further questions or feedback, make sure to give us a shout!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?