cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox client doesn't start up

Dropbox client doesn't start up

JMLobert
Helpful | Level 5

I just noticed that Dropbox isn't running and synchronizing. When I tried to start it manually, I get this error: "The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect". This is Windows 10, latest updates. Dropbox worked a couple days ago, stopped for no apparent reason.

Thanks for any pointers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox client doesn't start up

JMLobert
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for the response. This was not a Dropbox error, but a Windows error and the text above is verbatim, nothing more to show for that.

I tried to uninstall Dropbox and to my surprise that uninstall failed! Not something that instills confidence.

I fixed the problem by simply re-installing it over the current installation, now it is working again, but this worries me, if the cloud service stops working, and refuses to cleanly uninstall.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @JMLobert,

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of this error message (excluding any personal info)? Dropbox error messages should contain a blue hyperlink, if you see this please can you open the full error log and copy this into your reply?

Otherwise, can you try a quick uninstall of the Dropbox desktop app and then downloading and installing the app again to see if that helps.

Looking forward to hearing from you - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JMLobert
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for the response. This was not a Dropbox error, but a Windows error and the text above is verbatim, nothing more to show for that.

I tried to uninstall Dropbox and to my surprise that uninstall failed! Not something that instills confidence.

I fixed the problem by simply re-installing it over the current installation, now it is working again, but this worries me, if the cloud service stops working, and refuses to cleanly uninstall.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey again @JMLobert,

I’m glad to hear that the desktop app is back up and running for you! A possible reason for the uninstall failing would be that there were still some Dropbox processes running on your computer. There are a few other ways you can uninstall the desktop app if a simple uninstall didn’t work, which you can check out from here should you need/want to uninstall the app.

Regardless, feel free to let me know here if you experience any other issues with the desktop app as I’d be more than happy to help.

Have a great week ahead - Cheers! 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ibbuzz
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. I got the error message "The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect".  I tried reinstalling, uninstalling, and then reinstalling with no success. it wouldn't let me uninstall or reinstall over it.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Ibbuzz; thanks for joining the discussion here and welcome to our Community!

In your case, I'd suggest a clean, advanced re-install by following the steps outlined in the Help Center article below: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

Let us know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Ibbuzz New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    JMLobert Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?