cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox company download caching

Dropbox company download caching

engelant
Explorer | Level 3

Does anyone know If there is a way to create a local cache for Dropbox?

I have multiple users in a local network and someone from the outside changes/uploads a file to dropbox, the sync party is on. Every single user might download the same file at the same time. Just tried it, both clients downloaded the same size from dropbox.com according to the FW stats. Multiply 100MB with 20 Users and your line is gone.

LAN Sync seems to just kick in, after the whole file has been downloaded. There is not too much information on LAN Sync out there.

Breaking SSL open and using SQUID+Cache also seems to be off the table, as I understood there's certificate pinning in the app. Also, in the not to distant future, TLS1.3 would probably end this anyways.

In an ideal world one "supernode" would download the modified files and share them locally via LAN Sync, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing.

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox company download caching

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@engelant wrote:

In an ideal world one "supernode" would download the modified files and share them locally via LAN Sync, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing.

Hi @engelant,

🙂😁😃 Yes, I agree, there should be a way such cases be securely avoided. Actually, there is something like, but poorly implemented (dysfunctional) - "LAN Sync". It will work when all local computers are with enable "LAN Sync" and new file gets add to some of the local machines. Distribution will be delayed till upload to the cloud completes. Then all local machines will get chance to sync from LAN machine where the file was put on (without engaging WAN traffic). Unfortunately, when a file gets added outside LAN, all local machines are going to "catch" the new file directly from cloud (it's still missing locally on all machines) and in this context "LAN Sync" is unusable. 🤷 This could be considered a bug. In some future version would be fine download be distributed uniformly. But better, you don't rely on.

As a workaround (when you are expecting/detecting big content sync at particular moment) let only one machine access to WAN (or Dropbox sites) till everything (or most) gets in sync. So, when you turn access on back, there will be local copy and sync on LAN.

Hope this gives some ideas.

Re: Dropbox company download caching

engelant
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Здравко,

exactly what I found out during my test.

On the other hand I hardly could find any reports of people complaining about this behavior on the interwebs, so I was thinking maybe I'm missing something.

Unfortunatly I can't just block dropbox WAN access for all clients but a centralized sync node, since a few people might use links to other dropboxes outside the company and they then would be completly cut off. QoS for all machines but the LAN Sync one to dropbox is also not a good solution, as I don't know, if LAN Sync will even take over a already running download, as soon as it's ready and again, other users accessing other dropboxes will get limited for no reason.

Right now this isn't too much of an issue, as usually most people are @home and only a few are @office. But that might change again by the end of the year, and I'm pretty sure **bleep** will hit the fan (again) at that point, even forcing them to quit using dropbox all together.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

engelant Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?