cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox conflict with Firefox add-ons or extensions

Dropbox conflict with Firefox add-ons or extensions

D C.4
New member | Level 1

I've been having problems with Dropbox in Firefox (v 35.0.1). When I open Dropbox, the moment I click on anything the screen freezes. I opened Dropbox in IE 11 and Dropbox works. When I open Firefox with add-ons disabled and go to Dropbox.com, Dropbox works okay.

This leads me to believe I have a Firefox add-on that is not playing nice with Dropbox. All my add-ons work okay with every other website I go to. I could take the time to disable all my add-ons and enable a few of them at a time and go to Dropbox to figure out which add-on is causing a problem. I thought I would ask here first if anyone has found specific Firefox add-ons or extensions that cause problems with Dropbox.

Thanks - David

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox conflict with Firefox add-ons or extensions

sheila a.1
Helpful | Level 5

Having the same problem since Firefox 43.01 update - only in Firefox, Dropbox working fine in IE and Chrome Version 47.0.2526.106 m.  Was there a solution?

D C.4
New member | Level 1

If I remember correctly, I figured out it was a Firefox add-on that caused the problem. Don't remember which one. If I did remember, there are probably other Firefox add-ons that could cause the same problem too.

What I did was disable all my add-ons then I tried Dropbox and Dropbox worked (If Dropbox had failed, I would have disabled the extensions too, then add them back in in the same fashion as I'm about to explain with the add-ons). Next I enabled half of my add-ons. If Dropbox still worked, I would then enable a few more add-ons and try Dropbox again. When Dropbox eventually failed to work, I knew it had to be one of the last few add-ons I just enabled. Disable those just enabled and enable them one at a time until Dropbox fails. You'll then know which add-on is the culprit.

sheila a.1
Helpful | Level 5

D C tx for the reply.Its working fine today after having uninstalled TureKey app Firefox extension. Tx again for prompt and helpful reply

sheila a.1
Helpful | Level 5

Just to confirm to anyone from Dropbox monitoring this, I believe this is a bug. It is reproducible - I've done it several times now. I've confirmed Jave, Flash and everything else I can think of are uptodate.

With Truekey in Firefox 43.0.1, Dropbox opens with menus visible, BUT NOT activatable eg I can't log out, I cannot click on Recent to activate seeing recent files etc. All you see is the circle going round and round and round and no files are visible. Disable/remove True key extension from Firefox and everything works. I can supply screen shots if you tell me where to send them

I've tried this also with Chrome Version 47.0.2526.106 m and everything works just fine as normal with the truKey addon in place. Its only a problem with Firefox.

Rich
Super User II

I believe this is a bug.

Dropbox is working when add-ons or extensions are not installed? Then there isn't a bug in Dropbox. If a third-party add-on to your browser prevents something from working as intended, and as it was working without that add-on, then the problem is likely with the add-on.

sheila a.1
Helpful | Level 5

I agree the problem is with the add on, but if others are having the same problem and look here to see what is wrong then at least they get some helpful info like I did for DC above. However, I hate the way some software companies deny any responsibility for interacting with another piece of very commonly used software and I have filled this report with Drop Box, Firefox and Intel/Mcafee - they need to talk to sort this out.

kner K.
New member | Level 1

i have deactivated all addons and plugins. ff hangs when opening "Start Dropbox Webpage" ;

does not hang when i use safe mode, no problems with chrome

Think
New member | Level 1

I have no such "TrueKey" plugin and I have also run recently into issues with the dropbox website. Restarting Firefox will sometimes work, regardless of plugins being enabled or not, but it sometimes doesn't and the browser will hang indefinitedly loading the page (post-menu and barebones loading, so I'd assume this is a javascript issue).

Running Firefox 44.0

Steve B.37
New member | Level 1

I'm having this same problem.  I uninstall Dropbox and the problem ceases.  Install it back, and its back immediately.  Like turning a light on and off.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve B.37 New member | Level 1
    Think New member | Level 1
    kner K. New member | Level 1
    sheila a.1 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?