cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox couldn't start on Big Sur

Dropbox couldn't start on Big Sur

cjr_r
Helpful | Level 6

After using Migration on the new OS Big Sur, Dropbox couldn't start. A window says is usually a problem of permissions and ask me to contact Dropbox Support with the following infos to help (Dropbox_error9qygc_dt.txt)

Unfortunately on the chat they was saying they didn't understood my question !!!

I had indeed no direct question, I was just following the indication of the warning window and give them the text message Dropbox_error9qygc_dt.  Which is:

Dropboxbn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 112.4.321
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 46
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: e7e183a0-1c83-5077-8e81-55359373bf38
pid: 1288
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='cldjr', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='cldjr', pw_dir='/Users/cldjr', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='cldjr', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='cldjr', pw_dir='/Users/cldjr', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_serialnumberd'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_serialnumberd'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/cldjr'
appdata: '/Users/cldjr/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/cldjr/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/cldjr/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/cldjr/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/ms/d0xstx5j5x3gq19hgvw651m80000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/ms/d0xstx5j5x3gq19hgvw651m80000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 806, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6595, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6060, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5999, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 261, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 340, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 158, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 155, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 222, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 602, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 217, in __init__
File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 88, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> Opening dst |>> open syscall |>> Permission denied"

If the support online couldn't understand and help, who could ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox couldn't start on Big Sur

cjr_r
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Jay.

I found a procedure in Dropbox help how to fix the permissions via the Terminal. I did follow it and everything is fine now.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @cjr_r, thanks for messaging today!

If you're getting this error message, and you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cjr_r
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Jay.

I found a procedure in Dropbox help how to fix the permissions via the Terminal. I did follow it and everything is fine now.

ASKII
Explorer | Level 4

Hey cjr_r - would be great if you could share the link to the solution that worked for you. Many thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @ASKII; welcome aboard!

I believe @cjr_r was referring to the steps outlined in this thread.

Can you take a look and let us know if those helped?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ASKII
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter, many thanks for the link - however I wasn't able to use the Spacebar nor Option+H to show "Fix Hardlinks".

No problem however - I was just doing some troubleshooting for a colleague who had just upgraded to Big Sur, and updating the Dropbox app fixed the non-syncing issue.

cjr_r
Helpful | Level 6

Here is the page where I found the solution  to solve my permissions trouble

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/stuck-syncing

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cjr_r Helpful | Level 6
    ASKII Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?