cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox couldn't start - permissions error? - no fix after uninstall/reinstall

Dropbox couldn't start - permissions error? - no fix after uninstall/reinstall

RobinCanberra
Helpful | Level 6

DropBox has suddenly stopped working - the app on Windows 10 says it couldn't start and suggests its most likely a permissions error. On researching the subject, I've followed the advice given at https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/stuck-syncing to run a series of icacls commands - the first of these fail with an access rights error, but the others seem to work. When that didn't work, I did a complete uninstall, reboot and reinstall - still no luck. I still have web access to the DropBox.

Any help anyone can offer is appreciated. The error log is as follows:

-------------------------------

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 111.4.472
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 46
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 3265d291-3a2a-4c7e-9e83-17fa8a2ff2d9
pid: 15828
cwd: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\robin\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:\\Users\\robin\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: 'C:\\Users\\robin\\Dropbox'
real_path='C:\\Users\\robin\\Dropbox'
mode=0o40555 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\111.4.472\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\111.4.472\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\robin\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\robin\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:\\Users\\robin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
real_path='C:\\Users\\robin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 6577, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 6057, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 5996, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox\sync_engine_boundary\factory.pyc", line 261, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\sync_engine.pyc", line 337, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\modern_client\modern_client.pyc", line 163, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\modern_client\base.pyc", line 155, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\thin_adapter\in_proc.pyc", line 226, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\thin_adapter\in_proc.pyc", line 629, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\thin_client\client.pyc", line 218, in __init__
File "extensions\nucleus\nucleus_python.pyx", line 88, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> NtCreateFile syscall: open_unchecked |>> Permission denied"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox couldn't start - permissions error? - no fix after uninstall/reinstall

RobinCanberra
Helpful | Level 6

BREAKTHROUGH! I think there must be some subtle problem with my system because I tried shifting the local DropBox folder onto a different drive, and then it all came to life. Its a bit of a mystery to me exactly what the problem was, but if others encounter the same thing, this might be a solution to try. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions along the way, Walter!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Re: Dropbox couldn't start - permissions error? - no fix after uninstall/reinstall

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @RobinCanberra; welcome to our Community!

Can you please temporarily disable any antivirus you might have running on your computer and try a clean, advanced re-install?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RobinCanberra
Helpful | Level 6

Many thanks Walter - but no luck. To confirm, I uninstalled and then deleted "Dropbox" folders in %LOCALAPPDATA% as well as %PROGRAMFILES(x86)% - there were no folders labelled Dropbox in the other two locations nominated in the advanced installation instructions.

I then doubled clicked on the latest Dropbox download "Dropbox 111.4.472 Offline Installer.exe" (it seemed to install OK) and got me to the "Sign in" screen. I entered my email address and Dropbox password ... and got the message "Well done! Dropbox installed". So far so good.

I then clicked on "Advanced settings" and changed the location to the parent of the default folder that was prompted ("C:\Users\robin\Dropbox") - that is, I changed it to just C:\Users\robin as directed in advanced installation instruction 8.2 - though this did not change the Dropbox Location as shown on the screen. On clicking "next" I was back to the same old error message. In full it reads ... "Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error. Get more help at https://www.dropbox.com/c/help/permissions_error. Please contact Dropbox support with the following info for help: C:\Users\robin\AppData\Local\Temp\dropbox_errorja9f7xvu.txt".

RobinCanberra
Helpful | Level 6

Ooops ... forgot to disable virus protection. Have just redone the sequence described above with virus protection disabled for 15 minutes, but with no change in outcome. The only slight difference was that after uninstalling, (a) there were no additionals files to be deleted and (b) towards the end of the installation sequence, I hit the 3-device limit because it had registered the previous two installation attempts as additional devices (even though all carried out on the one machine).

Walter
Dropboxer

In that case, try unlinking any devices that might be putting you over your account's limit and try installing the app anew, Robin.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RobinCanberra
Helpful | Level 6

No luck I'm afraid, Walter. I should have mentioned that in the course of the previous effort (when it was showing multiple device connections from my desktop computer and that put me over the limit) I did unlink all the excess devices and that allowed the installation to proceed.

Nevertheless, for the avoidance of uncertainty, I checked that I only had two devices linked on my account and then went through the advanced installation procedure again. Same result - it all seems to run successfully, but then comes up with the same error.

I also verified that the only three users on my system (SYSTEM, me and Administrators) all have full access privileges to the Dropbox folder (the default location as c:\users\robin\Dropbox) - so prima facie that doesn't seem to be the problem.

RobinCanberra
Helpful | Level 6

BREAKTHROUGH! I think there must be some subtle problem with my system because I tried shifting the local DropBox folder onto a different drive, and then it all came to life. Its a bit of a mystery to me exactly what the problem was, but if others encounter the same thing, this might be a solution to try. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions along the way, Walter!

View solution in original post

bita1981
New member | Level 2

i just got this error.did u find answer?

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining the discussion here @bita1981; did you have the chance to try the advanced reinstall yet?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?