cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox crash when opening Microsoft Word

Olivier M.9 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm using Microsoft Word 2016 for Mac and Dropbox

All has been working fine until recently. Now, everytime I launch Word while Dropbox is running is causing Dropbox to quit.

I have tried unlinking, uninstalling / reinstalling Dropbox and Word, but I still have the issue.

Any help would be very much welcome.

Many thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox crash when opening Microsoft Word

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Olivier M.9, let’s have a look into the possible causes together & we’ll take it from there!

As an initial point of reference, could you make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (54.4.90), you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray

Taking it from there, have you noticed any other apps crashing when you're launching Microsoft Word? To isolate this issue, you could try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. 
  • Click on the icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"
If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to a component within Word, rather than Dropbox.

Last but not least, can you please disable the Dropbox badge (note: it was suggested previously as a workaround on a similar issue), try to recreate the behavior & let me know if this persists? You can do so by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray> then the  icon> then Preferences. You'll then have the option to choose when you'd like to see the Dropbox badge: "Always show"/ "If others present" & "Never show." To completely disable the Dropbox badge, select "Never Show" from the drop down menu. That will prevent Dropbox from showing the badge on your Office documents.

Please do let me know how this option works for you here & we'll take it from there. Thanks in advance Oliver! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Hey Jane

Many thanks for your prompt help.

Disabling the Dropbox badge has fixed that problem!

Still the Dropbox badge is rather useful and I would love to have it back and be able to run Word and Dropbox simultaneously..

Many thanks again Jane

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey Olivier M.9, let’s have a look into the possible causes together & we’ll take it from there!

As an initial point of reference, could you make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your desktop (54.4.90), you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray

Taking it from there, have you noticed any other apps crashing when you're launching Microsoft Word? To isolate this issue, you could try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar. 
  • Click on the icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"
If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to a component within Word, rather than Dropbox.

Last but not least, can you please disable the Dropbox badge (note: it was suggested previously as a workaround on a similar issue), try to recreate the behavior & let me know if this persists? You can do so by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray> then the  icon> then Preferences. You'll then have the option to choose when you'd like to see the Dropbox badge: "Always show"/ "If others present" & "Never show." To completely disable the Dropbox badge, select "Never Show" from the drop down menu. That will prevent Dropbox from showing the badge on your Office documents.

Please do let me know how this option works for you here & we'll take it from there. Thanks in advance Oliver! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Hey Jane

Many thanks for your prompt help.

Disabling the Dropbox badge has fixed that problem!

Still the Dropbox badge is rather useful and I would love to have it back and be able to run Word and Dropbox simultaneously..

Many thanks again Jane

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Ah, glad to hear that tweaking your settings a bit now allows you to us both apps as expected & thanks a lot for letting me know what worked for you Oliver! 

As it seem that the two apps aren’t playing well with each other, I’d suggest checking whether the option to enable the Badge "If others present” lets you use both apps at the same time. 

Regardless, don’t forget that we’re always here in case you have more questions or feedback. Feel free to get back in touch at any time & it’ll be a pleasure to discuss any concerns you may have. Wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?