cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox crashes on Windows 7

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi,

Dropbox crashes on Windows 7 about every 2 - 3 hours. About 3 weeks ago the same thing was happening, so we did a complete uninstall and reinstall of Dropbox which managed to fix the issue and now it's happening again. Uninstalling is not an option, we are use Dropbox for Business and having to wait for Dropbox to sync down 500GB of files is a pain.

Can anyone suggest anything?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox crashes on Windows 7

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Bastian1,

Can you try to update to the latest Windows build here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/New-Stable-Build-13-4-21/m-p/191856#M3410

This should hopefully resolve your issue, if it does not I would recommend submitting a support ticket so we can dig deeper into what the cause of this issue may be.

www.dropbox.com/support

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

By crashing I mean, it just dies, the only way to know if the App has died is to hover over the icon in the system tray and the icon disappears.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue, for about a month now and nothing in the FAQ has helped. Please assist.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Mine isn't every 2 hours however, mine closes 20-30 seconds after opening, never manages to sync anything.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have the same problem as james b., and also since around the turn of the year.
When I launch Dropbox, it briefly appears in the task bar and begins synchronising. I can try to open the settings quickly, but after a couple of seconds it just dies. This repeats a dozen times with the program starting up, synching, and closing again, before it simply stays closed.
I've un- and reinstalled it a few times, followed all the suggestions on the Dropbox help site, but the problem persists.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

same here on windows 7 ultimate

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same problem on Windows 7. Mysterious crashes. This is a huge problem, rendering one of my computers useless for work at the moment. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and everything in the FAQ. I will have to switch to different syncing software if there is no solution.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hey all,

The way I solved the issue was to make sure the Windows account I was installing Dropbox on was administrator and had a password with it. This resolved my issue as its a permission problem.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same issue with a Windows 7 machine. For weeks now dropbox continues to crash my whole computer and continuously sync files. I disconnected and reconnected Dropbox yesterday thinking it would fix the problem. Then I let it run overnight to sync all the files. There was actually a green checkbox when I checked it this morning. But that didn't last long. Its syncing files endlessly again and saying that this file and that file were all updated a few moments ago. Some of these files haven't been updated in years. I can't tell you how many times my computer has locked up over the last few weeks. I need a solution YESTERDAY! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Has anyone found a fix to this issue? I'm experiencing the same issues. Started a few weeks ago other than that had been running fine for quite some times before that.

DropBox support, can you provide assistance? Looks like many are reporting the issue. I tried to take a look in the log files but they are unreadable...

Stuart, my account has always been admin + pswd. Glad it fixed your issue but your solution isn't a fix for me. Even if I launch dropbox as admin it still crashes less than 1 min in. No sync happening. 

- I also tried unlinking my account, yielded no result

- I uninstalled v. 3.8.4 and installed 3.8.6, same issue.

Windows 7 ultimate

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?