cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox crashes windows explorer process

Dropbox crashes windows explorer process

Diogo R.2
New member | Level 1

Every time I right click on a file or folder inside my dropbox local folder it hangs the windows where it is occurring,

If I restart the explorer process (the only way to close that window) it then stop allowing me to open folders or using context menu options (basically, my explorer doesn't does his job)

Error window when I try to open a folder or shell extension after explorer crash:

[Window Title]
explorer.exe

[Content]

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

[OK]

I think is related to dropbox shell extension (DropboxExt64.28.dll)
I'm using Windows 7 HP SP1 x64, Dropbox v3.10.11

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox crashes windows explorer process

DD1
Dropboxer

Hi Diogo

Yeah, sounds like something is wrong with the installation. Have you tried the steps in the "For our advanced users" here?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/72

Diogo R.2
New member | Level 1

Hi, thanks for answering!

I use ESET Antivirus, can be the issue, and I found that it usually happens when I kill the dropbox process, only after restarting my computer it behaves as expected (opens the context menu without freezing the explorer window's process tree),

1. ESET could be bugging the DP shell extension
  2. Since the process was forced to shutdown the shell extension could be still active and send api requests that freezes explorer process.
  3. 2+1 all together 
  4. random shell extension bug

----------

Checked this right now: Dropbox running=context shell extension active / Dropbox closed using UI=context shell extension hidden/disabled

----

BR

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Diogo,

Sorry to hear about that 😕 Did it start recently or as it always been like this? Could you try a few things just for us to check it out as possible causes:

- Could you upgrade to 3.12?

- Can you quit Dropbox and access any file in the local Dropbox folder, does it freeze as well?

- You said you think it was linked toDropboxExt64.28.dll without explaining why, could you give me that extra piece of info please?

Thanks!

Diogo R.2
New member | Level 1

Hi Andrea,

Well, I just starting using DropBox client right now, but when I had it (1-2y ago) this didn't happen.

- Updated to 3.12.2...

- If I quit dropbox it works as expected, if by some reason I killed dropbox's process it frozes the window it was on when I right click in a file or folder within my dropbox folder. (I didn't know about this when I created this topic, only after try and error I found out). This doesn't happen for 3.12 version 😄

- I said DropboxExt64.28.dll, but DropboxExt.28.dll is the one executed by the classid {ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}, this dll should terminate his execution when dropbox.exe is not running (I guess this was the problem)

All working good right now, thank you for your help 😄

Claire G.10
New member | Level 1

Hi Diogo,

Happy to hear 3.12 solved this issue 🙂

Have a lovely day!

Allan P.5
New member | Level 1

I have this problem, but seem to be stuck in 3.10.11 - how do I install 3.12?

DD1
Dropboxer

Hi Allan

You can install the latest version from https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Allan P.5
New member | Level 1

That still gives me 3.10.11 - I'm on Windows 8.1 pro

DD1
Dropboxer

Ah, sorry about that. /downloading only links to the stable build.

Here is a direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=3.12.2&plat=win

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DD1 Dropboxer
    Allan P.5 New member | Level 1
    Claire G.10 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?