cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox creating new directory after each update

Dropbox creating new directory after each update

Steady_183
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Everytime i update the desktop program for Dropbox it creates a new directory.

It goes from C:/Dropbox to C:/Dropbox/Dropbox and then C:/Dropbox/Dropbox/Dropbox and on and on. This is creating issues with the programs that autosave files in there when i try to retrive them on a different PC.

The hassle of then moving it back, to c:/Dropbox, is becoming quite time consuming as i cant just move the folder as it "already contains a dropbox directory".

Does anyone have a solution for this by any chance?

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox creating new directory after each update

Walter
Dropboxer

Hello @Steady_183 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Could you first walk me through the exact steps you take that result in this behavior? 

If I'm correct to assume that you're re-installing the Dropbox software upon updating it, and you do not want to re-download all of your files from the server, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process. Then you need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: C:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose C:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Let me know if I'm missing something here please. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropboxer

Hello @Steady_183 - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Could you first walk me through the exact steps you take that result in this behavior? 

If I'm correct to assume that you're re-installing the Dropbox software upon updating it, and you do not want to re-download all of your files from the server, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process. Then you need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: C:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose C:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Let me know if I'm missing something here please. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Steady_183
New member | Level 2

Hello Walter,

Those are the steps and that seems logical. Maybe on the last few occasions i've clicked the wrong folder location and instead opened the dropbox folder instead of the C:/ drive as a whole. It seems unlikely i'd make the mistake several times but this must be it. Next update i'll try again and if it doesnt solve my problem i'll reply to this post.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Cheers

ondrae85
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I wonder if I am missing something, but I am experiencing the same problem described here. If I choose the parent folder, installation wizard just says, that it will rename the "old" dropbox folder. There is no merge mentioned. I tried several times and the outcome is still the same. After update there is Dropbox folder and Dropbox (old) folder.

What should I do to be able to merge after update?

Thank you.

Ondrej

ondrae85
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I wonder if I am missing something, but I am experiencing the same problem described here. If I choose the parent folder, installation wizard just says, that it will rename the "old" dropbox folder. There is no merge mentioned. I tried several times and the outcome is still the same. After update there is Dropbox folder and Dropbox (old) folder.

What should I do to be able to merge after update?

Thank you.

Ondrej

johnr70
Explorer | Level 4

I also experience this problem. Dropbox automatically updates (Windows 10), then self-selects a new location, thereby duplicting al of my existing files and folders.

It's just happened again, having occurred just a couple of weeks ago. Very frustrating.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community @ondrae85 & @johnr70!

As I'll need to check your devices' logs at this point to have a better view of the matter at hand, I'd suggest you contacted our Support team directly through this page:

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

Let me know the tickets' IDs here so I can locate them in our system and get on them. 

Alternatively, I can reach out to the email addresses that are associated with your Community's profiles so we can have a further look into this internally and with all of our tools at my disposal. 

In any case, thanks in advance!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

johnr70
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter.

Whenever Dropbox auto-updates, it ignores the user's setting for the location of the Dropbox folder on their local computer. Dropbox makes it easy to change the location in their settings, then ignores this preference – and forces a complete new download of all cloud files and folders – on every auto update. Can you turn off the automatic updates? No!

I had a live chat with support yesterday, and was told that this was "expected behaviour". Their solution was to just accept the default setting (which I don't want to do for a variety of reasons). 

To the many other people with this problem, here's the easiest work-around I've found, avoiding massive downloads, duplicate files, and a LOT of wasted time:

1: After an update, go to your Dropbox app on your computer and pause synching of files, if it's still running.

2: Remove the whole Dropbox program from your system (Control panel > Apps). Yep, get rid of it. Your files will still be there.

3: Go to the Dropbox website and re-install the program (link is in the footer)

4: During the re-install process, nominate your existing folder location.

5: Go to the forced default location on your C drive and delete the Dropbox folder that was put there during the update, as well as any duplicate files that were synched.

This has worked for me. Let me know if anyone has an easier way!

John

ondrae85
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Walter, thank you John.

John, I have experienced the same. The only way was to re-install the Windows app while pausing.

Walter, please let me know, how to do the merge thing you described earlier. And yes, I agree with the use of email address that is associated with my Community's profile.

Thank you in advance.

Ondrej

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for your updates @johnr70 and @ondrae85!

Just a note here John: when you re-link your account to the computer in question which is similar to the re-installing process you described (assuming that you have moved your Dropbox folder to another location such as an external drive) you'll need to pause the syncing process right-away and move your Dropbox folder through the desktop app's preferences back to its original location in case you've missed the 'Advanced Settings' option upon relinking (at which point you'd be able to choose your current Dropbox folder's location normally). 

As per your concern now Ondrej, the merge I mentioned happens only when re-linking a Dropbox account and pointing your Dropbox folder to the exact same location as your previous one. 

Let me know if you're still having issues with this and I'll reach out via your Dropbox email address to have a further look into the matter at hand. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    ondrae85 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
    johnr70 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?