cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox data space on Android

Dropbox data space on Android

Nic11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi everybody,
Dropbox app is actually taking 3gb on my phone (Samsung S7).
In dropbox online guide they suggest to free space deleting cache memory, but on my phone dropbox cache memory is only 32 mb at the moment, the apk is 160mb (more or less) while the 3 gb is dropbox user data!
I suppose if I delete all user data from Samsung Maintenance software I will lose also my dropbox account settings and in the worst chance also the data i loaded from the phone and now availables for other users.
If I delete single files from dropbox app, they are no more available on the account so... The question is:
How to free space on the phone deleting the files only on the local phone memory and not from the cloud? (please don't answer to delete cache memory :D)
25 Replies 25

Grumpy_Dadd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue with my Pixel3. Dropbox is the largest storage consumer at 14GB! but I have nothing available offline. I also tried the suggested cache clear but that was only about 500MB, the rest is under user data as the OP mentioned. Is reinstalling the app the only solution? Really!?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you by any chance given the reinstallation of the mobile app a shot? Are you still experiencing this behavior? 

If so, let me know and, due to account-specific info required, we’d have to move this discussion to email, in which case, I’d be more than happy to send you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know of any updates! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Grumpy_Dadd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Lusil,

I hadn't tried it but I just uninstalled and reinstalled. It clears the data usage but I can't be sure if it'll happen again until some time passes. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @Grumpy_Dadd. If the issue persists, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible to troubleshoot together. :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jb2020
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
There is an additional "Clear cache" option at the bottom of the settings menu in the Dropbox app itself - hitting this option massively reduced the size of "Data" in the android settings for the app on my phone

prelanov
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have the similar conflict with my device space as it happens to consider the large cache files as part of the app and after trying couple of tricks reinstalling the app works out for me. but there should be an easy way out for all this as Nic11 says the whle process need to be repeated after a while for freeing up space..

Dwayne A.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is the solution.

Dropbox stores previously downloaded files in a "scratch" folder in the main storage. When you remove all offline files in the app, these files remain. If you clear the app cache via your android settings, these files will remain. The only way to clear those additional temp files is by going to the clear cache option within the Dropbox settings within the app itself.

Michael M.224
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

This does appear to be the best solution, thank you Dwayne. 

NOTE:  The trick is to recognize the Clear Cache selection is in the DROPBOX app and not the Android Settings.

It seems to take a few moments (30 secs?) for it to complete the clearing during which my tablet was not too responsive.

alslik
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Lusil wrote:
I’d recommend giving the reinstallation of the mobile app a shot, although you mention:

@Nic11 wrote:
but I will lose all my settings
Could you please clarify what you’re referring to? 

Thanks in advance, @Nic11!

Rather, as noted above by several members, the solution is that there is a "clear cache" button in the settings of the Dropbox app itself, not the android settings. I was delighted to find their responses below when trying to find out how to clear out the mysterious 11.6 GB of storage space that Dropbox was taking up on my android. One note, it will take some time for the cache to clear and may lock your phone up a bit. The more data it has to clear, the longer it will take, but your phone should return to normal operation once it is done. It took about 2 minutes for it to clear all of that data. Apparently when you make files available offline and then stop making them available offline, the app doesn't actually delete the data off the phone, and basically becomes part of the cache. It is still in storage until you clear the cache. It took my phones storage from 98% to 66%. Very happy. Thanks to Jb2020, Dwayne A., and Michael M.224 for the correct solution and verification.

A side note- If a moderator can do so, or the OP happens to return to this post, I would suggest the solution be changed. Reinstalling the app will work and apparently was the solution that worked for the OP, but is not necessary in most cases.

qed123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I wanna say I am glad to have made dropbox my main cloud backup and storage.

I can say that truly as I like dropbox a lot.

I kinda still need to pay for google drive till i done moving stuff or i dont get email.

But I have 2gigs storage taken up on phone too. Phantom and i hope u guys dont repeat the same thing u reoeating to others with this prob.

I venture the cause if this also causes dripbox to eat however much free soace on my root oartition on my lubuntu pc.

I also have no files available offlune.

I delete my cache all the time. I actually do. So many if these "cache cleaners" are scams.

I am gonna uninstall dropbox from my pc and phone. This is sloppy as all get out and unprofessional. Tge advice given in this thread is laughable and frankly Im kibda dismayed.

I will use third party apps and web browser to use dropbox and I am still in love, hopefully iys not just honeymoon. Hopefully the novelty wont wear off. Dropbox dropbox the one that i adore

but i read the same useless advice "officially" being repeated and I just gotta wonder what the heck is up guys

❤️ anyhoo
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Sharir New member | Level 2
    Buddy M New member | Level 2
    A_M Explorer | Level 4
    WhatsYourCowboyName New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?