cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app (NOT S mode)

Dropbox desktop app (NOT S mode)

LisaBee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Everytime I  try any link to download the dropbox desktop app, the only file I get is for S mode.

I am NOT running in S mode. How do I get the regular desktop app for Windows?

Every location I've been to results in the following file:

dropboxInstaller.exe  (658 KB)

Anyone who can point me in the direction of the desktop app that is NOT the one for S mode; I'd be so greatly appreciative! 🙂

I've tried installing from the dropbox acct, from dropbox.com/install, from dropbox.com/downloading . . . all of these result in the installer for "S" mode. Where can I get the installer for "NOT S mode"?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LisaBee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter -- thanks for the quick response. I did previously find a similar link somewhere, but didn't get a successful install. Then, after over 10 install/uninstalls and several reboots, the small file did finally work. I tried so many different things, there's really no telling what exactly made it finally successful. Except that I did have a few friends watching me on zoom, and that always seems to make a difference when someone's actually watching! 😉  But I will say that there are quite a handful of people out there who have posted that they had the exact same issue. The file would only install S Mode, and then after lots of tinkering, it finally installed correctly. I don't know that anyone has been able to post a definitive solution as to what exactly caused it to finally work. Hopefully, if someone else sees this post, they'll give your download a shot before spending hours/days trying to figure out why they can only get S Mode installed.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @LisaBee, thanks for joining our Community!

Could you please try the offline installer from this page and let me know the results?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LisaBee wrote:

Everytime I  try any link to download the dropbox desktop app, the only file I get is for S mode.

I am NOT running in S mode.

What device are you trying to install on? If it doesn't have an x86-based processor (i.e. it has an ARM or other such processor) then you can't run the regular desktop application and will only get the app for S Mode. It's not because you're running in S Mode, but because your processor can't run applications meant for x86-based processors.

LisaBee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter -- thanks for the quick response. I did previously find a similar link somewhere, but didn't get a successful install. Then, after over 10 install/uninstalls and several reboots, the small file did finally work. I tried so many different things, there's really no telling what exactly made it finally successful. Except that I did have a few friends watching me on zoom, and that always seems to make a difference when someone's actually watching! 😉  But I will say that there are quite a handful of people out there who have posted that they had the exact same issue. The file would only install S Mode, and then after lots of tinkering, it finally installed correctly. I don't know that anyone has been able to post a definitive solution as to what exactly caused it to finally work. Hopefully, if someone else sees this post, they'll give your download a shot before spending hours/days trying to figure out why they can only get S Mode installed.

LisaBee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Rich -- Thanks for the response. Don't think it was a processor error . . . pls see my response under Walter's response. Good to go now, but took a bit of frustration to get there! 🙂

lsouza
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The same thing happened to me, even when using the offline link. I found out that it was happening because it would open recommendation from Microsoft app store. When I clicked on "Continue installing from outside the store", I was able to get the normal Dropbox app. I hope this helps other people.

SG23
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have the same problem, but still after 10+ reinstalls, no solution ... Windows 10 *not* running in S Mode, 64 bit operating system, ARM-based processor, and it refuses to install Desktop version of Dropbox - a dialog box tells me it can't be installed on this device, and asks me if I want Dropbox S Mode, which is of little use for my purposes. Surely someone somewhere in Dropbox knows the answer?! I've scoured and can find nothing ... 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SG23, thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

I'm afraid Rich's answer still stands as the Dropbox desktop app doesn’t support ARM processors on Windows operating systems, except for on Windows in S mode.

Let us know if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SG23
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Walter, many thanks, that's not welcome news but clears the matter up. I had no idea when I ordered a Surface Pro that there could be any such issue - I assumed universal compatibility of Dropbox with Windows devices. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing this could be fixed by Dropbox's technical people. Meanwhile, I can use the Surface Pro as a table mat ...

October
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Also seems the free S-Mode level no longer supports setting permissions for who can do what other than view a file.  So much for collaboration.... Hope I am wrong about that but I have not found a way to change permissions.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NEShipley New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?