cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app is installed but won't open (windows 10)

Dropbox desktop app is installed but won't open (windows 10)

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox icon shows up in the system tray (in white) for a few seconds then disappears & it's not in the overflow area.  Machine just came back from repair shop, where the tech unexpectedly installed lots of updates, reinstalled Chrome (I lost everything except passwords), and may have reinstalled Dropbox.  I don't want to use the new Dropbox interface; I prefer to stay with access via File Explorer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @RoyWilliams3, welcome aboard our Community!

About the Dropbox icon disappearing from your system tray, can you try uninstalling the Dropbox application, restarting your computer and then reinstalling it, to see if that helps?

Just, before you do that, keep in mind that if you have a free Dropbox account, you can only have up to 3 devices linked to your account. So, if this one gets disconnected and you have more than 3 already, you won't be able to reconnect it, until you delete enough devices from your account settings.

As for the setting that opens your files in the Dropbox application, you can follow the steps here to change it back to the file explorer folder.

Let me know how that works out for you!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @RoyWilliams3, welcome aboard our Community!

About the Dropbox icon disappearing from your system tray, can you try uninstalling the Dropbox application, restarting your computer and then reinstalling it, to see if that helps?

Just, before you do that, keep in mind that if you have a free Dropbox account, you can only have up to 3 devices linked to your account. So, if this one gets disconnected and you have more than 3 already, you won't be able to reconnect it, until you delete enough devices from your account settings.

As for the setting that opens your files in the Dropbox application, you can follow the steps here to change it back to the file explorer folder.

Let me know how that works out for you!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you.  Uninstalling & reinstalling (after deleting old devices I don't even have any more!) did the trick.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Perfect, happy to hear that, Roy! 

Make sure to let us know if you ever need anything else.

Happy Friday!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, Hannah (or anyone who can help me),

The same thing just happened again!  Dropbox is installed on my Windows 10 desktop, but didn't open at startup for some unknown reason.  I got it to open, it did the usual indexing, uploaded a changed file or two to the cloud & said it was up to date.   Then I tried to undelete a folder that I had accidentally deleted in a recent cleanup. (It does still exist in the Dropbox cloud).  Suddenly the black Dropbox logo disappeared from the tray.  When I tried to reopen Dropbox, the logo re-appeared in the tray in white for a few seconds then disappeared.  

Do I have to uninstall & reinstall Dropbox again?   I want to get to the bottom of whatever the underlying problem is so I don't have to do that every few days.  Thanks in advance for your help, Roy Williams

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Roy, thanks for nudging me on this. 

I'm sorry to hear you're still having the same issue. 

Can you try our more advanced reinstall of the application and let me know if it helps?

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for replying so quickly.  Before I start the "advanced install", I have a question--

What exactly is the default location for my Dropbox folder? 

In File Explorer it now appears to be located in two places: directly under Desktop, but also under Roy.  I don't think this a duplication (it has the same time/date stamp, etc.), but just another peculiarity of the File Explorer tree structure: Desktop appears to be under Roy & Roy appears to be under Desktop.

Before I upgraded from 7 to 10 I believe it was under Users/Roy, and I certainly never intended to put it in a non-default location.  I'm the only "User" on this machine.

I hope you can clarify, so I don't make the situation any worse.

Thanks again,

Roy

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, Roy, I hope you had a great weekend!

You should be able to see the location of your Dropbox folder, if you open the Dropbox application preferences and go to the 'Sync' tab.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hannah (or whoever can help me): I uninstalled, rebooted, deleted the only Dropbox folder I found (in PROGRAMFILES(X86)), and downloaded and double-clicked Dropboxinstaller.exe. It took about 3 minutes to download the desktop app.  The install ran for about three more minutes before apparently stopping.  It got far enough that my Dropbox folder in File Explorer (C:\Users\Roy\Dropbox) changed back from a generic folder icon to the familiar blue Dropbox icon, and Dropbox reappeared in my list of apps in the Start box. 

I tried double-clicking the Dropbox icon in the Start box. After a pause, the Dropbox icon briefly appeared in white in the tray but disappeared after a few seconds.  This is the same behavior as before I did the Uninstall three weeks ago; I guess I've been putting off the Advanced Reinstall because I was afraid this would happen 😧.

Please help me if you can.  This is my primary work computer & it's getting more & more out of sync with my Windows 7 laptops on which Dropbox is still working fine.

Thank you,

Roy Williams

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for updating me on this, Roy!

Can I reach out to you via email, on the address you have here on the Community, so we can look into this a bit more?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

beuiot Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    RoyWilliams3 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?