cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app is installed but won't open (windows 10)

Dropbox desktop app is installed but won't open (windows 10)

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox icon shows up in the system tray (in white) for a few seconds then disappears & it's not in the overflow area.  Machine just came back from repair shop, where the tech unexpectedly installed lots of updates, reinstalled Chrome (I lost everything except passwords), and may have reinstalled Dropbox.  I don't want to use the new Dropbox interface; I prefer to stay with access via File Explorer.

14 Replies 14

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Certainly, Hannah,  I would love to discuss this via email.  The latest strange development is that after three days Dropbox finished installing this morning without my doing anything.  I noticed a gray Dropbox icon appeared in the tray; I clicked on it & was able to login in with my email address and previous Dropbox account password.  Dropbox accepted it and proceeded to start working.  It took it a while to re-index thousands of small files, and I had a number of file conflicts to resolve, but now it's working fine and my Windows 7 & Window 10 machines are in sync again.

For the next four days I will be away in a campground with very poor WiFi, so we will probably have to postpone the discussion until next week.  But now the urgency is removed.

Roy Williams

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Alright, Ray, thanks for keeping me up to date with this! 

If you see that the problem returns, make sure to let me know.

Have a great weekend!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RoyWilliams3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hannah:

Please do reply to my email address.  After working for one day & syncing with my other PC's, Dropbox is again refusing to open.  (White logo appears in tray for two seconds & disappears.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roy Williams

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sure thing, Roy, I just reached out to you, so make sure to check your email!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

beuiot
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I had the same issue on win10 that drove me nuts. Suddenly dropbox just stopped working. Advanced reinstalls, disabling firewall and antivirus did nothing: dropbox installed, but did not run (either no systray, either a systray + quickly a window then crash). No error message, nothing. I got in a very frustrating support loop that kept telling me to disable my antivirus and reinstall dropbox.

After 5 days of struggling, I finally got it working by updating my intel graphics UHD drivers (from 30.0.100.9805 to 30.0.101.1404). Dropbox now works flawlessly. I hope this helps someone else!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

beuiot Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    RoyWilliams3 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?