cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox desktop app keeps restarting with error, won't sync

Helpful | Level 6

Ok so I've had this probelem since yesterday.

I've already tried advanced reinstall, which didn't work.

I tried again with selective sync set to only 1 little folder, with dropbox root folder set to new directory, also didn't help.

I constantly get an error:

2019-10-06 (3).png

It's in Polish, It says: Dropbox unexpectedly stopped working. Your files are safe (...) [Close] [Restart Dropbox app].

I don't use any antivirus, I've disabled built in Win 10 security scans etc.

I don't use symlinks.

None of community posts or articles helped. The problem won't go away.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you, Maciej.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox desktop app keeps restarting with error, won't sync

Helpful | Level 6

For anyone experiencing this issue: beta v83.3.146 seems to have this problem solved.

Although I'm unable to tell what was the problem.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20
<p>HI <li-user login="maciejplater" uid="549491"></li-user>,</p>
<p>There is a link (blue colored) pointing to debug info. Post this debug info, so would be one more idea what's going on and probably somebody would be able help you. 😉</p>
<p>Good luck!</p>
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

You're talking about the link in error popup that i've posted? Unfortunately it's just an url to help center: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/unexpected-quit

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

One little clue: if I pause syncing then Dropbox won't shut down. So it must be an issue with the process, not application.

Also, this is how my Dropbox folder looks like (.cache folder is empty all the time; .dropbox won't change too):

2019-10-06 (4).png

Highlighted

Oh.. My mistake. Usually such links point debug info...
Anyways, Did you try Unlink (from Preferences, Account tab) and install some earlier stable build (80.4...., for example)? Select offline install! Before reinstall, make sure "Early releases" in your account settings is turn off. Try at least... 😉
Hope this helps.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I thought about installing earlier version, but couldn't find where to download it from, so it will be 100% trusted.

Update: Even if I have ZERO folders in selectiv sync, the problem still occurs... Does it mean, that there is no problem with my files that I have syncronized when it worked?

Highlighted

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you very much, will try.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

It's frustrating as even when I use earlier installer, I can't force Dropbox NOT TO update it's version.

I'm a paying user, so it hurts even more... I have never been even considering using Early release, because I needed to trust that "stable" ones. I don't play with that software, I work with it. This situation is unacceptable. Many hours lost with this issue, and still no solution.

Highlighted

Do you 'unkink' before reinstall and use offline install? If usual install is used, latest stable version is downloaded. Usually initialization is problematic, so least initialization have to be completed, after that normally follow update to latest stable version (it's normal).
There is a different case, but could be useful. Take a look: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Desperately-to-get-rid-of-unstable-Beta-Build-...
Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?