cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app not opening

Highlighted

Dropbox desktop app not opening

Explorer | Level 3

I have used Dropbox for years, no problem. I have installed the desktop app onto my iMac (21.5" Retina 4k 2019) which is running Mojave OS. When I click on the icon in the Applications folder nothing happens. If Dropbox isn't 'on' in the upper menu bar then all that happens is that this is started. My folders stiil sync, but the desktop app doesn't open. There is not a check for me in preferences to use the desktop app either.

Steve

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox desktop app not opening

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @stevepd100, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community! 

While you can set Dropbox to launch automatically on your Mac, it looks like you’re launching the Dropbox app manually through the Applications folder. If the app is already running syncing your files, this will not make a difference. 

From what I gather from your description however, it looks like you’d like to use the new desktop app & you’re not seeing the option though the Dropbox Preferences. If that’s happening & you’re not seeing the Open folders in” option, it will be made available to you at a later time. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

I hope that this helps clarify matters & please let me know if I missed anything along the way. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your rapid response. You are indeed correct in that I would like to use the desktop app. Are you able to say why I need to wait and why I am not able to access it currently? Has it only been made available to certain accounts?

Best wishes

Steve

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping in touch @stevepd100

We’re gradually making this functionality available to more users, so hopefully your turn will come soon & you'll get a chance to try it out.

Even so, I’m always here if there’s anything else you may need to add or ask. Thanks again!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey again @stevepd100, apologies for the slight delay on my end. 

I’ve just sent you a brief message, just so as to have a closer look through our Official Support channel. Please have a look at your inbox & we’ll take it from there. 

Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?