Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox desktop app on Windows 7 running slow and crashing

Helpful | Level 5

I have three computers running Windows 7.  The latest update has all of them crashing with the latest update of Dropbox. Dropbox is causing the computers to run so slowly that I have to update at night right now.  

Whatever you are doing in your updates, it is not helping.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox crash

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @tidewater, welcome to our community! 

Sorry to hear about this. Of course, this should not be happening, so let’s have a look… 

• Is our app freezing up, or is it closing? 

• Has there been any other change to your systems recently? Any other apps added or updated? 

• Has there perhaps a Windows Update around the time this started happening? 

• Are you running an anti-virus? If so, which one are you using? 

I’m running Windows 7 myself, and I haven’t had any issues with our latest app, 50.4.71. I use Avast’s free offering, and run a backup utility in the background. I’ll admit, I don’t have the latest Windows updates installed, as I like to make sure they’re not going to cause any issues when downloaded. 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 
Thanks! 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Sanchez,

I am having much the same problems. I had some issues last week, but they seemed to clear up. This week, they have come back, and I can't get Dropbox to work on my machine at all. So I will answer the questions you have put above and we will see where we wind up

• The dropbox app completely freezes the whole machine. I can't even open the task manager to kill the process and have to use the power button on the machine to stop it and then restart it.
  • The last thing I added was FEMAP, but this was added a couple of weeks ago.  Windows had an update (KB4344152) and Adobe reader was updated about the same time
  • So it has been a while since the last Windows update
  • I have Trend Micro

Shane

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Shane, could you try rebooting the machine while Trend Micro is disabled to ensure it isn’t some sort of incompatibility with the software.

If that doesn’t make any difference, try doing an advanced reinstall to see if that helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox continues to run slow, although not crash.  It takes 10 minutes to get through "Starting".

I wonder - how are we supposed to accept this level of service?  If you demand on updating your software every time you start it - isn't that more like a virus than not?  

It's important for me to have backup - but I'm considering Drive or Box now, after nearly a decade with dropbox as a paid user. 

k

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?