cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox desktop app won't load anymore on Windows 10

Dropbox desktop app won't load anymore on Windows 10

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My desk top Windows 10 Dropbox app worked okay until 10 July. It is version 100.4.409. It now says it won' t load because it needs a QT plug in. I have tried uninstalling the app but it won't uninstall. I tried reinstalling the app but that didn't work and I get the message "the installer encountered error message 2.

Does anyone know how I can fix this please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

Ok. Lets go back to square one, un-installing and re-installing the app. In your first reply/original inquiry, you said that you couldn't un-install and re-install the app for some reason. Have your tried a Forced Un-install (please note that a forced un-install is different than a regular un-install)? If not please follow the steps on this page https://appuals.com/how-to-uninstall-programs-on-windows-10-that-wont-uninstall/. I hope this helps!

------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark:Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise:Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello @Jane42 

I have done some searching through past Dropbox Forum questions and found a solution on how to fix this QT error. Go to, https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Qt-platform-windows-failed-to-start/td... and follow the instructions provided by the Accepted Solution. I hope this helps!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks I found that string (which is 5 years old) but didn't find it helpful. I don't have any environemntal variables set and I can't find the AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\plugins\platform  file also mentioned. So I am hoping that after 5 years an up to date solution can be found

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

Have you tried re-starting your computer? I don't think that this is a Dropbox error but instead a Windows error/problem. I found a thread on Microsoft that may be of help to you, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/qt-platform-plugin-issue-wh.... I hope this helps!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes I have restarted my PC a number of times and this problem has been occurring since 10 July. I am on the May 19 version of Windows 10 (1903) so the problem can't be a Windows update. It's frustrating that i can't uninstall and reinstall Dropbox to the latest version (and I don't know why) because that usually fixes the problem. 

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello @Jane42 

Could you happen to share a screenshot of the error you are recieving? Once you have provided a screenshot I will look into the error more thoroughly and try to find a solution. Thanks!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks very much Patrick 65 

200713 screenshot.png

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

I just got off of a Chat with Microsoft Support and they told me the following steps should fix the problem:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Head over to Updates & Security > Troubleshoot.
  3. Select Windows Store Apps, and go to Run the Troubleshooter.
  4. Follow further on-screen instructions and let the process finish.
  5. Restart your computer. 

If the following doesn't work go to https://windowsreport.com/dropbox-keeps-crashing/ and follow the other steps provided to fix the error. I hope this helps!

Jane42
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks very much for this advice Patrick. Sorry for the delay in replying but it took me quite a while to get through all the proposed steps (as detailed below) but no joy I'm afraid. I still get the error message. Maybe Windows Support could help me to uninstall and reinstall Dropbox to the current version?

I ran the troubleshooter but it didn't show any problems. Then i went though the 7 steps shown in https://windowsreport.com/dropbox-keeps-crashing/

1. I initially switched about AVG free anit virus software and then uninstalled it. Error message still showed after rebooting.

2. I do not have TuneUp Utilities installed.

3. I tried to run the command prompt suggested but got a message that access is denied and it failed to process 1 file.

4. I ran the SFC tool. It found some corrupt files and repaired them. Error message still showed after rebooting.

5. I ran the system restore tool. it only had one restore point, 12 July, and that is after the problems with Dropbox arose. but I ran it anyway but it couldn't complete it because "System service exception".

6. I don't want to try the UWP version, i want the current version to work.

7. Troubleshooter didn't show up any problems.

8. i have checked with ZoneAlarm (free version) which provides my firewall and the Dropbox program is a trusted one and not blocked. I don't use the Windows Defender Firewall

Not applicable
Go to solution

Hello again @Jane42 

Ok. Lets go back to square one, un-installing and re-installing the app. In your first reply/original inquiry, you said that you couldn't un-install and re-install the app for some reason. Have your tried a Forced Un-install (please note that a forced un-install is different than a regular un-install)? If not please follow the steps on this page https://appuals.com/how-to-uninstall-programs-on-windows-10-that-wont-uninstall/. I hope this helps!

------

HeartDid this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark:Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise:Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?