cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop link/shortcut slow to open (Windows)

Dropbox desktop link/shortcut slow to open (Windows)

JanL
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,
this is not really a new issue but I couldn't find a way to re-open the discussion here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Opening-Dropbox-Slower-than-opening-other-folder...

The problem is still persisting in 2017 and I don't think the workaround suggested by Rich in the other thread is an acceptable solution.

Is there any reasoning why a folder shortcut is automatically transformed into a link to the Dropbox app (specifically to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /home)?

I have been using a folder shortcut titled "Dbox" for years now, but I don't think that using or recommending such workaround is a good solution for a shortcut taking over 5 seconds to open a local folder.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox desktop link/shortcut slow to open (Windows)

Rich
Super User II

Posting my response again here because it's still correct.

Don't use the default Dropbox icon. It points to the Dropbox executable which first looks to see if Dropbox is running (this is why it's slower). If DB isn't running, it's launched. If DB is running, it opens the folder. Instead, create your own shortcut to the DB folder and call it something OTHER than Dropbox (I use My Dropbox). If the shortcut is called Dropbox and you place it on your desktop, the installer will replace your shortcut on every upgrade.

Nothing has changed regarding this and likely never will. The Dropbox icon that the application creates is working as intended. It is not a direct shortcut to the folder. It is a shortcut to the Dropbox application.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

Posting my response again here because it's still correct.

Don't use the default Dropbox icon. It points to the Dropbox executable which first looks to see if Dropbox is running (this is why it's slower). If DB isn't running, it's launched. If DB is running, it opens the folder. Instead, create your own shortcut to the DB folder and call it something OTHER than Dropbox (I use My Dropbox). If the shortcut is called Dropbox and you place it on your desktop, the installer will replace your shortcut on every upgrade.

Nothing has changed regarding this and likely never will. The Dropbox icon that the application creates is working as intended. It is not a direct shortcut to the folder. It is a shortcut to the Dropbox application.

JanL
Helpful | Level 6

I admit this is a pet peeve, and I understand that your response is still a valid workaround, however, is there nothing to be done about the app overwriting my own folder shortcut also called "Dropbox"?

Rich
Super User II

JanL wrote:

is there nothing to be done about the app overwriting my own folder shortcut also called "Dropbox"?

Change the name to something other than Dropbox or mark it as read-only.

JanL
Helpful | Level 6
The read-only tip sounds like it might do the trick. Thanks for your time.

Zed
Dropboxer

Hey @JanL

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community?

Click here to access the survey.

Thank you.

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

bluarca
New member | Level 2

Hi Rich and thanks for your solution.

But I, too, find it more a workaround than a permanent solution, I would like to have a Dropbox shortcut in my taskbar. I can create a shorcut to the Dropbox folder location that opens fast in the desktop and in the start menu, but not in the taskbar. The only way to have Dropbox in my taskbar is using the slow loading one, or at least I havent been able to find a way.

For comparison, I use both Dropbox and OneDrive and the shortcut to OneDrive in my taskbar opens almost inmeadtily while Dropbox takes about 3 seconds.

I think it is still a problem that detracts from the experience.

Rich
Super User II

bluarca wrote:

I think it is still a problem that detracts from the experience.

The Dropbox icon is working as intended and will likely never change.

The only way to have Dropbox in my taskbar is using the slow loading one, or at least I havent been able to find a way.

You can easily create a shortcut to any folder and pin it to your task bar.

bluarca
New member | Level 2
Thanks for the tip.

I don't disagree, it seems to be working as intended, but maybe they should change the way it is intended to work. While your workarounds work perfectly they are still workarounds.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bluarca New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Zed Dropboxer
    JanL Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?