cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop starts and stops - keeps showing up in menu bar as gray, then disappears.

Dropbox desktop starts and stops - keeps showing up in menu bar as gray, then disappears.

TRehm
Explorer | Level 3

I've been using Dropbox for years, but recently, I've had to uninstall and reinstall it every month or so because it starts up, the Dropbox icon will appear in my menu bar and say "Starting..." but then disappears. It isn't syncing and if I close the program and restart, or restart the computer, it doesn't fix it. The latest version is installed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox desktop starts and stops - keeps showing up in menu bar as gray, then disappears.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @TRehm!

It looks like you're running a beta version of the desktop app there, denoted xx.3.xxx. I'd suggest downgrading to the latest stable build to see if that helps with the issue that you're having here.

To do this, please visit your account settings here and toggle off the "Early releases" option towards the bottom of the page. Then, you can just download and install the latest stable version from here.

Once you have ran the installer I'd suggest restarting the desktop app or your computer too if you'd like and see if that helps the app pass the startup process.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox desktop starts and stops - keeps showing up in menu bar as gray, then disappears.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @TRehm, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this!

So I can have a bit of a better idea of your current set up, can you let me know which OS version your computer is running?

Also, just to make sure that you're not using the beta version of the desktop app can you check in your account settings here and see if the option "Early releases" is toggled off towards the bottom?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TRehm
Explorer | Level 3

Hello! Thanks so much for replying.

I'm using Windows 8.1. For a bit more info, I will see the Dropbox icon appear on my system tray, start to connect, sometimes can right click and get the options to show, but then it shuts off or will say "Smart Sync is having trouble connecting..." and then disappear. It will keep doing that endlessly until I quit Dropbox. Upon restart, it will start trying again and the same thing happens. I can't access the Dropbox managment dashboard or adjust any settings in Dropbox, like selective sync.

I did have the early release option turned on in my Dropbox, but have turned it off. It says the current version is 98.3.151.

Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @TRehm!

It looks like you're running a beta version of the desktop app there, denoted xx.3.xxx. I'd suggest downgrading to the latest stable build to see if that helps with the issue that you're having here.

To do this, please visit your account settings here and toggle off the "Early releases" option towards the bottom of the page. Then, you can just download and install the latest stable version from here.

Once you have ran the installer I'd suggest restarting the desktop app or your computer too if you'd like and see if that helps the app pass the startup process.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

TRehm
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! So far, so good, and will reach out if it happens again now that the early releases are not being updated.

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @TRehm!

Indeed, if the issue crops up again then please feel free to give me a nudge here. :grin:

Have a great day and stay safe!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?