cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox disappearing from Mac Menu Bar

Dropbox disappearing from Mac Menu Bar

steve S.1
New member | Level 2

I have a number of issues but the most significant one right now is that I cannot keep the Dropbox icon in my Mac Menu / Task Bar. I am seeing a number of folders have not fully synchronised and I am trying to understand why.....in the past I have found it helps to see the Dropbox App actively syncing in the menu bar.

If I start Dropbox from Applications then the icon appears and stays for some 15-20 secs and then disappears and the app closes

In my Console log I see a number of messages like:

15/04/2015 08:32:27.600 [0x0-0x2d02d].com.getdropbox.dropbox: objc[342]: Object 0x2c2fba0 of class OC_PythonString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug

20 Replies 20

Re: Dropbox disappearing from Mac Menu Bar

Ed F.15
New member | Level 1

I noted this yesterday and also heard from others having the exact same problem.
I just tried it with my MacBook Pro, previously with my Desktop Mac -- Both are using OS 10.7.5. Seems to be a problem with DropBox on Mac Systems or else they have been truly hacked. No response yet from DropBox. They seem to specialize in ignoring customers and have no system to directly contact them except through this Forum resource which they clearly don't read and ignore.
I pinged their legal department who does claim to accept e-mails, but no response either. At this point this is becoming a crisis of confidence in a resource that we are trusting to care for and make instantly available our stored files in their "cloud".
My Mac iPad Ap does connect fortunately. The MacBook Pro has been idle for about three weeks and has not had any software updates which at east indicates the problem is on DropBox's side of the transaction.

Maybe a post to the Wall Street journal would get their attention. Some of the effected customers are talking about going to a new service immediately.

steve S.1
New member | Level 2

I guess at the end of the day voting with your wallet might be the best option - cancel Dropbox account and move to iCloud instead !?

Samantha F.2
New member | Level 1

Something must have recently been implemented, see this thread as well: https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203450505-Mac-OS-X-10-7-5-app-opening-a.... The problem seems to have arisen in the last week.

steve S.1
New member | Level 2

Well in the end TWITTER got me some traction and they responded to me and invited me to post my issue and IM them the bug report....which I did.....will report back if I get this resolved

Alex F.2
New member | Level 1

I have been struggling with this for a few days. Have a macbook air, and two macs, one at home and one at work. Tried everything Dropbox suggested, nothing works. Look forward to your comments

Ed F.15
New member | Level 1

I struggled with this for a week and finally got a work around from the DropBox support team. You need to disable auto-update. Then down load and install the older version 3.2.9. Not elegant, but it works. It may the awhile if you have a lot of files as it needs to sync.

Clearly there is some "bug" in the current version.

Samantha F.2
New member | Level 1

Peter's solution posted here https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/communities/public/questions/203346945-Desktop-app-keeps-quitting which reinstalls 3.2.9 and disables autoupdate worked beautifully for me. You may also find that you have to add the few extra lines of code he suggests - I had to do this after about half an hour when it stopped working for me again. Follow the steps in the link (make sure you read to the end!), or the steps below:

1. Copy these lines to TextEdit.app: rm <YOUR_DROPBOX_FOLDER>/.dropbox.cache/dropbox-upgrade-3.4.3.tar.bz2 curl -L -o /tmp/Dropbox-darwin-update-3.2.9.tar.bz2 'https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=mac&meta=1&build=3.2.9' mv /Applications/Dropbox.app /Applications/Dropbox_backup.app mkdir -p /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents tar -C /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents -xjf /tmp/Dropbox-darwin-update-3.2.9.tar.bz2 chflags -R uchg /Applications/Dropbox.app

Change <YOUR_DROPBOX_FOLDER> by path where Your Dropbox folder is. Mine is at /Users/peter/Desktop/Dropbox, so in my case i changed the line to:
rm /Users/peter/Desktop/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/dropbox-upgrade-3.4.3.tar.bz2

1. Copy text in TextEdit, and paste it in Terminal.app
    You will probably see some percentages as old Dropbox is downloaded, wait until it all finishes.

2. You may have to add the following bit in Terminal, if the problem resurfaces after a bit:

If Dropbox crashes again, run this:
grep Path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Dropbox*
If You get many lines like this:
/Users/USER/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DropboxDATEHOST.crash:Path: /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox
/Users/USER/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DropboxDATEHOST.crash:Path: /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox
and then some lines like this:
/Users/USER/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/DropboxDATE_HOST.crash:Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Dropbox/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox

It means Dropbox has managed to install updated and not working version 3.4.3 inside folder
/Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Dropbox

Delete it, and make it immutable (will see, if it will help):
rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dropbox/Dropbox.app
chflags uchg ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dropbox

To undo the above after Dropbox fixes 3.4.3:
chflags nouchg ~//Library/Application Support/Dropbox

James Y.6
New member | Level 1

@Steve S. having the same problems and saw this thread, now 3 months old, and wondered if anyone had any update from Dropbox on what they intend to do? @Samantha F. I haven't tried your work around as posted as a little nervous and a bit technical for me as a simple business user 🙂 Surely they need to just produce an update to solve this bug? Just as a not it is only a problem on my MacBook Air and not my iMac. Both use Yosemite 10.10.4

As others suggest a move to an alternative may be the answer its just the buggerance of moving a business account across for a small business without an IT department...

Samantha F.2
New member | Level 1

@James Y. - I'm not aware of an update to this bug, but I haven't checked. My solution is still working. If you follow the instructions carefully, you should have no trouble. I believe it is a Lion-specific issue, hence why you're having no problems with your other Mac OS systems.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    LadyShirletc New member | Level 2
    Sofia L.5 New member | Level 1
    Steve F.14 New member | Level 2
    Tricia S.5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?