cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Carlo C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the latest version of Dropbox 3.2.6. Its been about 3 days that dropbox wont work on one of my systems running Windows 7. It was working and syncing fine a few days ago. Now I try to check it in the task bar system tray and the icon is gone, not hidden. I check the windows start up services and dropbox is no where to be found. The task manager shows the process running but no change on memory usage for that application. I have tried uninstalling and installing and no change. In fact once its done installing it doesn't show me the steps that usually come after the installation is complete like choosing sync options, etc. I upgraded to pro user thinking that was gonna fix it but still no change. It is working fine on my laptop which has windows 8 but I need it to work on my desktop as well. I hope this gets resolved, I have been using this service for a couple of years but if this keeps on occurring I will be force to seek a better cloud storage service, and I dont want to do that.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from someone from the support team.

-Sebastian

49 Replies 49

resistance
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ticket number 5622006, agent Monica.   

Thank you

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey resistance

Thank you very much for following-up here, truly appreciated. 

We can see our agent has reached back out to you and requested more information. Can you please check your email inbox for their reply and let us know if you're unable to locate it? 

Hope this gets resolved soon!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

tradeshowjoe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have been struggling with this as well. Finally resolved!!!!!!!!!!! I had given up all together. Today I plugged my phone into my cpu to transfer photos manually. When I got done a Dropbox window opened up asking me to sign in. Once I did, the computer started syncing, and I am back to working just fine!

shawncoons
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem. Right-clicking on Dropbox and Running as Administrator worked for me.

MuninMunin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Didn't work for me, it was my last hope =/ It wakes up and just works on the background eating RAM, nothing shown.

MuninMunin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Interesting for you to say that. Dropbox closed on me and kept showing me the finger right after I installed google drive.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey MuninMunin

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, glad to work on that with you! 

Let’s go through some troubleshooting steps together. 

#1. Stop Dropbox:
- Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
- Click on the gear icon :gear: in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".

#2. Uninstall Dropbox:
Please note that if Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.
- Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Vista, 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, 8).
- Click "Uninstall a Program".
- Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".

#3. When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer just to finish with the uninstallation. 

#4. Download and install the newest version of Dropbox.

Please disable your antivirus or any other security program during the re-installation, just to exclude any interference. 

If this persists after the steps above, please let me know!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

tradeshowjoe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem persists. Thanks for trying Jane. Doesn't fix it for me. I have enjoyed DB, my renewal is up in a couple weeks and I am going to find another service if this problem is not resolved by then. Shame, I really liked it when it worked.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'd be glad to go through some troubleshooting steps with you.

In your previous reply, you had mentioned that what had helped you resolve that was to plug your phone into your computer. Have you followed any other steps that may help me determine the case? 

Will be awaiting your message here!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

tradeshowjoe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 7 pro. Everything worked worked fine, then it just didn't. When I click on DB in my program menue, I get the circle (waiting) icon for a breif second, then nothing. I have tried to run as admin, I have installed as admin. I have uninstalled/reinstalled many times, When I tried with the phne connected to the cpu, I got it back, temporarily. Then one day it was back, for a few hours.  Gone again. I am stumped.

Need more support?