cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Carlo C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the latest version of Dropbox 3.2.6. Its been about 3 days that dropbox wont work on one of my systems running Windows 7. It was working and syncing fine a few days ago. Now I try to check it in the task bar system tray and the icon is gone, not hidden. I check the windows start up services and dropbox is no where to be found. The task manager shows the process running but no change on memory usage for that application. I have tried uninstalling and installing and no change. In fact once its done installing it doesn't show me the steps that usually come after the installation is complete like choosing sync options, etc. I upgraded to pro user thinking that was gonna fix it but still no change. It is working fine on my laptop which has windows 8 but I need it to work on my desktop as well. I hope this gets resolved, I have been using this service for a couple of years but if this keeps on occurring I will be force to seek a better cloud storage service, and I dont want to do that.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from someone from the support team.

-Sebastian

49 Replies 49

GsmS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
go to program files and then find Dropbox.exe file.then run it as Administrator.it works for me

Subzero99
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This trick fixed it for me. Thank you!

srlake314
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Going to where the file is and running as Administrator did not work for me even still.  I've uninstalled, reinstalled, hooked phone up, etc, and still, it doesn't run.  It's fine to access on my laptop and phone.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @srlake314, apologies for getting in touch with you with a slight delay. As you’ve mentioned that you’ve already tried to work on that on your own, would it be okay if I sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Forum profile, in order to investigate the behavior you’ve reported here in a bit more depth together? 

Thanks for posting us here on the matter & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

srlake314
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, please help!!!!
[personal information removed by moderation for security reasons]

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I appreciate your speedy confirmation @srlake314! I’ve made sure to reach out on your Forum email address via email. Please have a look at your inbox whenever you have some spare time & we’ll take it from where you’ve left off when you were working on that on your own. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next message!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

divisiblebyzero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

FIXED!!    right-click on Dropbox.exe executable in /Program Files (x86)/Dropbox/Client folder, select Troubleshoot Compatibility.  A necessary but missing Windows patch had not been applied so it installed it and voila!  all was right in the world again.

SYMPTOMS:
When launched from Start menu or via startup (both as standard user and as Administrator), Dropbox would not run (did not appear in Task Manager Process list) and did not appear in system task bar.  All changes, attempts to fix, etc. failed until I found the Troubleshoot Compatibility entry.

Dantur
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Tried the troubleshooting. Didn't work though.

Windows 10 - 1809

The Tray icon appears in grey, then disappears.
The task manager lists 3 "Dropbox" processes, which then also disappear.

Windows event log:

Two different AMD machines! About the same Message. Slightly different Nummber

DbxSvc:

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden. , retrying...
(i.e. alike: "unable to find the specified file ")

No indication which file might be meant and how to fix this.
Which driver? Where from?

The second, older and slow machine - same OS - reports after having installed the app (never used it there):
(-2146885628), Das Objekt oder die Eigenschaft wurde nicht gefunden.

i.e. "Object or property not found"

Reinstalled several times with online and offline installer.

Panu
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hello, 

I ran another client version (Client_70.3.85) as admin in the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox and it fixed the problem for me

P.B

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Happy to hear that you got this sorted on your end (@divisiblebyzero) & (@Panu); that’s some great news & thanks for sharing the steps that did the trick for you!

When it comes to your inquiry (@Dantur), I’ve sent you a brief message on the email connected to your Community profile gathering all the details you’ve sent me here, as you’ve already tried working on that. You may have a look at your inbox at your earliest convenience if you’d like us to work on that together. Thanks in advance! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?