cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Carlo C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the latest version of Dropbox 3.2.6. Its been about 3 days that dropbox wont work on one of my systems running Windows 7. It was working and syncing fine a few days ago. Now I try to check it in the task bar system tray and the icon is gone, not hidden. I check the windows start up services and dropbox is no where to be found. The task manager shows the process running but no change on memory usage for that application. I have tried uninstalling and installing and no change. In fact once its done installing it doesn't show me the steps that usually come after the installation is complete like choosing sync options, etc. I upgraded to pro user thinking that was gonna fix it but still no change. It is working fine on my laptop which has windows 8 but I need it to work on my desktop as well. I hope this gets resolved, I have been using this service for a couple of years but if this keeps on occurring I will be force to seek a better cloud storage service, and I dont want to do that.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from someone from the support team.

-Sebastian

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

tradeshowjoe
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have been struggling with this as well. Finally resolved!!!!!!!!!!! I had given up all together. Today I plugged my phone into my cpu to transfer photos manually. When I got done a Dropbox window opened up asking me to sign in. Once I did, the computer started syncing, and I am back to working just fine!

View solution in original post

shawncoons
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem. Right-clicking on Dropbox and Running as Administrator worked for me.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the swift reply!

Just a quick question here to determine the case. Can you access the website version of Dropbox from the same network or are you having issues connecting to the website as well? Seems like a firewall, security program, proxy or VPN is blocking the Dropbox desktop. Can you make sure that these steps are followed for the configuration of your firewall and that the domains listed here are allowed or whitelisted? 

Secondly, could you reply here with a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing? It would be really helpful in locating the case. 

Will be awaiting your message here! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

wheeler47
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling with the Firewall turned OFF worked for me. Thnx!

Ralf L.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

A reinstall fixed it for me.

49 Replies 49

Joost D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello, I have EXACTLY the same problem as you !! Very weird!!!!

Jaime B.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've been having this problem for a while now as well. I installed a new hard drive in my system and moved my os to it. All my old files were on the other hard drive. When I installed windows on the new hard drive and began the process of reinstalling old programs, dropbox will not work properly. Install seems to complete successfully, but the gui does not start. I have a dropbox proccess running but that is it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled over and over, even using Revo to sweep for leftover files and registry keys with no success. Anyone have any answers?

nathan m.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

same problem as well.
still works on my surface pro running win8 but not on shop computer running win7. shows up under processes Dropbox.exe *32 but likewise no system tray icon, and after uninstall and re install i dont even get setup dialog. please help.

Jaime B.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Interestingly, I tried reinstalling dropbox from an old installer I had. It managed to install, and even allowed me to get to the UI, but it could not connect to dropbox's servers. I'm still dropbox dead in the water.

nathan m.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

i got it working again but not sure exactly what i did. several windows updates, uninstalled adobe air, and im running 3.2.9. came to work one day after updates and the install dialoge was up so signed in and it just compared files i had and is good now. so not sure what it was exactly.

Carlo C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello everyone I am sorry for taking this long to reply. I was able to fix this problem myself and I completely forgot to post an answer. What worked for me was doing clean boots with no services for the exception of Microsoft services and through process of elimination I found out what start up service was causing dropbox not to properly start. In my case "Google Music Manger" was the culprit. I do not really know why but things went back to normal after stopping it and uninstalling it. I had to do the clean boot because after some time I began to notice that not only dropbox but other programs would not run even after I try running the applications myself. So yea, idk if that will help you guys but in case you are still trying to solve this problem check and see if this works for you. Maybe a different start up service does the job for some of you. I don't really know but at least I got mine back to work, not thanks to the mediocre support team from dropbox which never even tried contacting me or responding to this post.

Rifaas H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Run the start up Dropbox (run as administrator) then configure it 

Chris L.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am running Windows 10 and was having an issue with Dropbox not loading automatically on startup, as well as not running when trying to manually start it. It would start then quit immediately when trying to start it from the start menu, from the dropbox.exe location, as well as trying to start from both locations "as administrator."

What fixed it for me is to find the installation location, which for me is C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client , right click the dropbox.exe file and select Troubleshoot Compatibility. From there, let Windows try recommended settings. When asked, make sure you save the new settings (there will be a dialog asking you to save).

YMMV, but for me, Dropbox loaded and synced immediately. 

[UPDATE] This did not fix the issue of loading on startup. Even dropping a shortcut into the startup folder did not help. And I have to run the compatibility troubleshooter every time...can't just start the app through the start menu or the exe.

P O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same problem as described here, and how strange that Dropbox isn't providing any of these people support on this.

Where does Dropbox keep its logfiles on Windows, and are these human readable?  I see no error message in the eventviewer, and I find no readable logs so far.   

Dropbox was working perfectly for weeks, and suddenly today it does not start up at all, and there is no error and no evidence that it even tries to initialize.

I strongly suspect it is a permissions issue, but I don't know where to look.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Panu Helpful | Level 5
    Dantur Helpful | Level 5
    divisiblebyzero New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?