cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not open Excel files! (Cannot Find)

Dropbox does not open Excel files! (Cannot Find)

Daniel F.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Error message trying to open .xls files using Excel 2013. "Cannot find" file if you double click the file from a Dropbox local folder which is green light synched. You can open the same file if you either copy it to the desktop or open it from the web-based dropbox. Dropbox support- please help! DDE option is unchecked in General settings in Excel. This does not change anything. Please help Dropbox support- this same bug is all over your question boards but still unanswered.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daniel F.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Credit to the corporate drop-box support- they answered the question immediately when i contacted them on chat. The problem was with excel not drop-box- Excel has a 256 character limit including extensions in the path. We had the excel file buried in too many subfolders with long names, taking us over the 256 character limit.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Philip A.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is what happen when companies scale. They forget their customers.

Daniel F.9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Credit to the corporate drop-box support- they answered the question immediately when i contacted them on chat. The problem was with excel not drop-box- Excel has a 256 character limit including extensions in the path. We had the excel file buried in too many subfolders with long names, taking us over the 256 character limit.

micheoliva
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Daniel.  I am experiencing this issue.  Can you explain the 256 character limit and burying of files in subfolders?  thanks!

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi micheoliva, welcome to Dropbox Community!

There are files that your applications can't process correctly because they have file paths that are too long.

This behavior exists if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. This means from the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file.

i.e: if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long.

In previous versions of the Dropbox desktop application, files that fell into this limitation could be on the Dropbox website, but they couldn't be sent to a computer that was not able to store a file path of that length. The latest Dropbox desktop application versions have support for Dropbox to read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters.

Files will sync to and from those locations, however the applications used to open said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit these files. This is out of our control since the application developers would have to add support for long paths to resolve the issue.

I suggest renaming a folder to a shorter name and omitting the illegal characters or reducing the number of sub-folders. For more details check here.

Let me know if this helps!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mozeca
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

??? makes no sense, the same file in same location, same filename opened just fine 2 weeks ago, won't today. Can't edit it.

skytouch_usa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is a farse solution. Worked fine, then all of a sudden, BOOM, error messages on every excel message ... if this was the case, then why does a Microsoft Word file, same directory and even longer in a file name open just fine.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

skytouch_usa New member | Level 2
    mozeca New member | Level 2
    Norah Dropbox Staff
    micheoliva New member | Level 2
    Daniel F.9 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?