cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not recognize my device after login

Dropbox does not recognize my device after login

muemarco
Explorer | Level 3

I have installed dropbox on ubuntu 18.04.

After every reboot I have to newly sign in to dropbox and after signing in I get the message that dropbox is limited on three devices despite I do not use more than three devices. 

Then I have to unlink the exact same device on which I just have logged in. Dropbox doesn't realize that this is exactly the same device.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox does not recognize my device after login

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @muemarco,

Are you using the same local Linux account (i.e. the same application context) or you are running on different accounts, while running Dropbox application? Be careful that despite Dropbox declares the limit is to 3 devices, actual limitation is for 3 connections (devices number doesn't matter). I have no idea why Dropbox LIEs, in fact about that. In such a case your device could be seen as multiple devices from Dropbox side!

muemarco
Explorer | Level 3

After each logon on the same device with the same user I get a request (on a browser window) to connect the device to my dropbox account. When I do it, I it says I was already using three devices, which is wrong. Then I have to unlink the device that I currently use (it is listed as a different device but it isn't).

Dropbox doesn't realize that I am using exactly the same device with the same user name and same credentials as before I logged off.

Здравко

@muemarco wrote:

Dropbox doesn't realize that I am using exactly the same device with the same user name and same credentials as before I logged off.

This is important clarification. 😟 Seems, for some reason your application isn't able save the credentials for just established link. All credentials (and others) are kept in ".dropbox" folder. One reason could be bad attribute set on the noted folder or some of the nested parts. To check this, you can start from "zero". Unlink your application (Preferences->Account->Unlink), if linked at the moment. Run following commands in sequence:

dropbox stop
rm -rf ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-dist
dropbox start -i

After the last command, link application and check if something have changed. If some error brings up post everything, together with the commands.

Good luck!

muemarco
Explorer | Level 3

exactly the same behaviour after those commands. I have to unlink the device that I am currently using because dropbox doesn't realize that it is the same device.

Here the messages after starting dropbox from the console:

marco@marcoThinkPadP50:~$ dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox.../usr/bin/dropbox:303: PyGIDeprecationWarning: Since version 3.11, calling threads_init is no longer needed. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/Threading
GObject.threads_init()
/usr/bin/dropbox:453: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
self.ok = ok = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_OK)
/usr/bin/dropbox:458: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
cancel = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_CANCEL)
/usr/bin/dropbox:334: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.loop_callback, *ret)
/usr/bin/dropbox:344: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.on_done)
dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-K74oWT
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175:/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
success!
dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-ArGWzn
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175:/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Done!
marco@marcoThinkPadP50:~$ dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtNetwork.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/marco/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-104.4.175/PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'

@Здравко wrote:

@muemarco wrote:

This is important clarification. 😟 Seems, for some reason your application isn't able save the credentials for just established link. All credentials (and others) are kept in ".dropbox" folder. One reason could be bad attribute set on the noted folder or some of the nested parts. To check this, you can start from "zero". Unlink your application (Preferences->Account->Unlink), if linked at the moment. Run following commands in sequence:

dropbox stop
rm -rf ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-dist
dropbox start -i

After the last command, link application and check if something have changed. If some error brings up post everything, together with the commands.

Good luck!

Здравко

Hi @muemarco,

The result, just posted above, is the expected one and shows a normal work. First time when you start application after forcing unlink ( done with "rm -rf ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-dist", which don't remove your device from Dropbox device list - this is one side removal! ), you have to "remove" in fact already removed device becouse Dropbox don't know anything for performed removal still. In any following Dropbox application start, you should not need linking anymore (including device removing), while you are using same local account and saved settings (the folder ".dropbox" content) are not damaged somehow. Any damage to these settings could force relink, without unlink in advance, so Dropbox server still count your device and you have to remove it explicitly.

Again, your posted log is a normal start flow and don't show any error.

Make sure your settings aren't being damaged somehow (including by third party apps)! I can't say more.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?