cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not remember session on website

Dropbox does not remember session on website

Adeoxymus
Helpful | Level 5

Every time I visit dropbox on chrome on my laptop (running Ubuntu) I have to login again. I want it to remember my session, which is why the 'remember me' is ticked when I log in. But it doesn't.

What's more annoying than the constant logging in, its the emails asking me if its really me, since I signed in from a new device (yes it still is me, and its not a new device!)

Interestingly, when I visit the security section in the settings there are tons of  "Chrome on Linux" sessions that are still logged in (my laptop is the only chrome on linux session), all carrying the same IP address.  Sessions from yesterday, the day before yesterday, the day before the day before yesterday, etc....

Any idea how to make sure it remembers the session?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox does not remember session on website

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @Adeoxymus - much appreciated.

As this is a browser specific issue I would advise you to restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins. The issue you're experiencing is clearly the result of a plugin that you have installed on your browser or a security setting on your browser. 

You can try disabling them one by one (and trying to repro the issue) to see which exact extension is causing this problem.

Hope this helps to some extent!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Adeoxymus - sorry to hear about this. 

Sounds like your browser is clearing your cache and cookies ( from your browsing history) on every reboot - is it possible that you have some setting or an extension on Chrome that could be causing this? 

Could you try this on incognito and let me know if it persists?

While we're at it, do you get the same results on other browsers

Let me know what you find please and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Adeoxymus
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply.  
It doesn't just log me out when I restart (browser or PC), but even with the browser still open but no activity for a few hours I have to log in again (this happened today, I even had dropbox window still open, but I hit refresh and I have to login again). No other website where I'm logged in has this issue. I'm also still logged in to the dropboxforum...

I checked it with firefox today (same machine) and that has so-far not asked me to log in again. I will test it in incognito, and see if I have to log in after a few hours. (obviously when I close the icnognito window it will log me out right?)

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @Adeoxymus - how are you today?

Any updates on this matter? If your issue was resolved on Mozilla Firefox (or incognito) then the issue you were seeing was a browser (Chrome) specific problem and could be caused by an extension/plugin you're using.

Anyhow, please keep me posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Adeoxymus
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply!

So far I'm still logged in to the firefox and the chrome incognito window. So I guess you're right, it must be a chrome extension. It's interesting to me that it only targets dropbox.com and not any of the other sites I'm logged into.

Also I must correct myself: I do have to close the dropbox tab for me to be logged out in chrome, not when the tab is still open like I implied before. I checked this in firefox and chrome incognito as well, there I'm still logged in. I will check it with a longer timeframe today to be sure about this.

As for which extension is causing it, I guess the main suspect would be Ghostery. I think the other extensions are unlikely (evernote, 1password, pocket, mendeley, stayfocusd and dropbox for gmail). Do you agree? Any ideas why it would do that (and only for dropbox.com)? Maybe there are some settings to finetune... At least I can try to turn it off and see if that fixes it.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @Adeoxymus - much appreciated.

As this is a browser specific issue I would advise you to restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins. The issue you're experiencing is clearly the result of a plugin that you have installed on your browser or a security setting on your browser. 

You can try disabling them one by one (and trying to repro the issue) to see which exact extension is causing this problem.

Hope this helps to some extent!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Adeoxymus
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Just to give an update for people encountering the same problem. Disabling the "Ghostery" addon fixed the problem. Ghostery is a privacy addon that blocks certain tags and trackers. I tried running ghostery with modified settings (whitelisting dropbox.com, allowing more type of trackers) but I was unable to find the right settings that fixed the issue. Since I didn't want to be spend endless nights on this, I disabled ghostery and looked for an alternative. So far I have not encountered the issue again.

Best,

Jochem

Rich
Super User II

@Adeoxymus wrote:

I disabled ghostery and looked for an alternative.

I use Privacy Badger with pretty good results.

Adeoxymus
Helpful | Level 5

@Rich wrote:

@Adeoxymus wrote:

I disabled ghostery and looked for an alternative.

I use Privacy Badger with pretty good results.

Thanks, I will definitely try this!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Adeoxymus Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?