cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox does not restart after update

B00ze_E
Collaborator | Level 8

Good day.

For a few months now, the Dropbox client on my laptop fails to restart itself when an update comes in. So I get home to find no Dropbox icon in the system tray. Starting the client at this point works fine. No errors in the Event Log. Tried re-installing the client but the issue persists. For now I wrote a script that restarts the client every 5 minutes if it's not running, we'll see if it's able to restart it after an update while I'm not looking (I just scheduled the script now) but would like some sort of resolution.

This is on the laptop; on my desktop everything works ok. They are both Win7 machines and while they have slightly different configurations (the A/V is different) the laptop has had the same configuration for quite some time and had no issues with Dropbox updates before. The only thing I can think of, is that the laptop now runs unattended, ie. with the lid closed, whereas before, Dropbox was always updating itself with me watching. Could the updater be looking for an interactive session and not finding one, skip the restart of the client?

There are updater logs but they are not humanly readable; can I upload those somewhere so that Dropbox can read them to see if the problem is shown in there?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox does not restart after update

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @B00ze_E - sorry for the tardy response. 

Apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused so far - I understand this has not been ideal for you. 

From what I understand, the issue you're experiencing is related to your current setup and configurations and most likely due to the fact that you are running Dropbox remotely.

Having said that and as I'd like to help in the best way possible, I found your existing ticket on our system and sent it to the appropriate department for review. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation so far and enjoy the rest of your day. Talk to you soon via email!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

B00ze_E
Collaborator | Level 8

Good day.

@DolphinUser5 There was no real resolution - it just does not restart after updating itself if the laptop is under RDP control and the session is disconnected. Here is what I do: I created a small CMD/BAT script and run it every 7 minutes using the Task Scheduler. It looks for the Dropbox process and if it does not find it, starts it. Here's the script:

@ECHO OFF
@SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS

PUSHD "%~dp0"
REM Move to script's directory

Tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq Dropbox.exe" /NH | Find "Dropbox.exe" >NUL:
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO :EOF

ECHO %DATE% %TIME: =0% Restarting Dropbox... >>%~n0.log

IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" ( 
START /D "%PROGRAMFILES%\Dropbox\Client" /MIN Dropbox.exe
) ELSE (
START /D "%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Dropbox\Client" /MIN Dropbox.exe
)

You need to run this via another script, Visual Basic this time, so that it does not open a DOS window every time it runs. You could maybe schedule it to run under the SYSTEM user instead, but I prefer to run the task under the USERS account (this works well so long as there's only 1 user logged in.) The VBS script looks like this:

Dim WinScriptHost
Set WinScriptHost = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WinScriptHost.Run Chr(34) & "X:\Path\Dropbox.cmd" & Chr(34), 0, True
Set WinScriptHost = Nothing

Regards,

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @B00ze_E

So, our app fails to run when an update comes in. What update are you referring to? An app update, or a change made to your Dropbox? 

When you say that your laptop runs unattended, is it on at all times with the lid closed only, or does it go onto a sleep state of some kind at some point? 

You obviously know your way around a Windows machine, but have you tried a basic re-install of our app? 

Also, are you running a beta of our app by any chance? A beta version is denoted by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx. If you are on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings. I recommend that you switch this off, and then install our stable build.  

Let me know when you have a chance. 

Have a great weekend 

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

B00ze_E
Collaborator | Level 8

Good day Sanchez.

So, our app fails to run when an update comes in. What update are you referring to? An app update, or a change made to your Dropbox? 

The Dropbox desktop thing, Dropbox.exe which makes the icon in the taskbar, that's the one that fails to re-start. The update applies just fine, but the Dropbox desktop client does not restart, so I /think/ that this means any new files added to the Dropbox folder will not replicate.

When you say that your laptop runs unattended, is it on at all times with the lid closed only, or does it go onto a sleep state of some kind at some point? 

Unattended means it sits there with lid closed, but I *am* logged into it, there is a session going, it's just that I use Remote Desktop to interact with it. Sleep is disabled. The fact that I'm "not there" is the main difference with past behaviour where Dropbox was updating and re-starting itself just fine on that same laptop, while I was actively using it. Of course I did change things since - Updated .NET, updated WMF/PowerShell, Avast updated itself, and I added an app or two, but the main thing is that the lid's closed. It's not super bad, I scripted it so that every 5 minutes, I re-run Dropbox.exe if it's not already running, but it's still kinda annoying...

Have you tried a basic re-install of our app? 

Yop, I have re-installed. I have not tried to disable Avast completely, but I did disable any kind of new thing they keep coming-up with. So right now Avast is just using the basic pattern-based and heuristics-based file-system filter - no "Cyber Capture" and no "Behavior Shield" or other crap. It was working fine before with Avast. I'd have to completely remove Avast to make super-sure that it's not interfering, but it's unlikely since it would place anything it does not like into Quarantine, and this isn't happening. It's also hard to test this - if I install an older version of Dropbox, so that I can see if it updates OK later, it will detect this and download an update AS IT IS INSTALLING. So I end-up with the latest version anyway, and have to wait 2 weeks to see if the problem persists. I do wish the logs you make were human-readable...

Also, are you running a beta of our app by any chance?

Lol, no way! Dropbox updates like every 2 weeks, I would not want to be on Beta updating every 2 days lol.

PS: Strange that - I just wrote yesterday about issues with updating on the laptop, and tonight, Dropbox tried to update to 45.4.92 on the desktop and failed. It downloaded the patch, but then nothing else, it did not apply it. I restarted the Dropbox Client, and it detected something because it started to re-download the update, but this time it downloaded for 4 minutes (very slowly.) It updated itself fine afterwards. I think this is caused by my using DNSCrypt on the desktop since yesterday - it has a tendency to send me to European servers. Anyway, still kinda worked better than on the laptop.

Best Regards,

B00ze_E
Collaborator | Level 8

Good day Sanchez.

The Dropbox desktop thing, Dropbox.exe which makes the icon in the taskbar, that's the one that fails to re-start. The update applies just fine, but the Dropbox desktop client does not restart, so I /think/ that this means any new files added to the Dropbox folder will not replicate.

Unattended means it sits there with lid closed, but I *am* logged into it, there is a session going, it's just that I use Remote Desktop to interact with it. Sleep is disabled. The fact that I'm "not there" is the main difference with past behaviour where Dropbox was updating and re-starting itself just fine on that same laptop, while I was actively using it. Of course I did change things since - Updated .NET, updated WMF/PowerShell, Avast updated itself, and I added an app or two, but the main thing is that the lid's closed. It's not super bad, I scripted it so that every 5 minutes, I re-run Dropbox.exe if it's not already running, but it's still kinda annoying...

Have you tried a basic re-install of our app? 

Yop, I have re-installed. I have not tried to disable Avast completely, but I did disable any kind of new thing they keep coming-up with. So right now Avast is just using the basic pattern-based and heuristics-based file-system filter - no "Cyber Capture" and no "Behavior Shield" or other crap. It was working fine before with Avast. I'd have to completely remove Avast to make super-sure that it's not interfering, but it's unlikely since it would place anything it does not like into Quarantine, and this isn't happening. It's also hard to test this - if I install an older version of Dropbox, so that I can see if it updates OK later, it will detect this and download an update AS IT IS INSTALLING. So I end-up with the latest version anyway, and have to wait 2 weeks to see if the problem persists. I do wish the logs you make were human-readable...

Also, are you running a beta of our app by any chance?

Lol, no way! Dropbox updates like every 2 weeks, I would not want to be on Beta updating every 2 days lol.

PS: Strange that - I just wrote yesterday about issues with updating on the laptop, and tonight, Dropbox tried to update to 45.4.92 on the desktop and failed. It downloaded the patch, but then nothing else, it did not apply it. I restarted the Dropbox Client, and it detected something because it started to re-download the update, but this time it downloaded for 4 minutes (very slowly.) It updated itself fine afterwards. I think this is caused by my using DNSCrypt on the desktop since yesterday - it has a tendency to send me to European servers. Anyway, still kinda worked better than on the laptop.

Best Regards,

tom a.10
Explorer | Level 4

Same for me - it has been that way for me on my win7 desktop for a couple of years. It happens when the dropbox app auto-upgrades. After the upgrade there are no file updates and no icon on the task bar until I manually start dropbox. Then it is fine again until the next upgrade. I have tried re-install and no change. I am not running beta versions.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @tom a.10, can you tell me if there are any similarities with @B00ze_E's setup, besides Windows 7? Are you using Remote Desktop, or using this PC in some remote or virtual situation? Let me know! 

@B00ze_E, that is probably the best, clearest reply to my questions that I have ever received  
I want to run this by my colleagues, but I’ll wait for toma10 to give me a bit more detail on his experience. 

Cheers guys!

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

tom a.10
Explorer | Level 4

This desktop is used via both RDT and locally - RDT most often (~ 90% ) - so this might be the common denominator.

I'm not sure if this only happens after using RDT. It is possible that it updates OK when left on the local screen - I mostly notice when it stops running and probably would not notice an update that worked correctly.

It is always on and used mostly as a file, Subsonic and dropbox server. The dropbox folder is F:/Dropbox and the F drive is shared.

Anivirus and backup SW has changed brands along the way without making any difference.

The machine is now a virtualbox host and runs more apps in the vbox clients -  but that was installed after the problem started.

Thanks

B00ze_E
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Guys (Hi @Sanchez).

Well, the client has updated a few times since we last spoke; still won't restart on the laptop, still works just fine on the desktop. I kinda keep both machines in Sync software-wise, so if something I installed on the laptop broke Dropbox, it should've stopped working correctly on the desktop as well. I still have logs you could look at, just let me know.

Regards,

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey guys (@tom a.10 & @B00ze_E),

Thank you both for updating me here. Perhaps we should go ahead and put you in touch with our support team for further investigation. Indeed there may be something going on involving Remote Desktop, so running this by our team may prove fruitful

If you decide to submit a ticket, let me know the ticket number here, and I’ll be happy to check up on it! 

Cheers

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox

tom a.10
Explorer | Level 4

Sanchez,

It is still happening so - ticket #7832187

Thanks

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?