Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox does not start after upgrade

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have been a Dropbox user for some years and today I decided to upgrade to Dropbox Plus, because I needed more space.

I currently only have one folder on my Dropbox, which is quite large. I installed Dropbox on my new laptop and something is not working properly. I track the status of the dropbox client through the command line, and the responses that I get are:

"Dropbox isn't running!", "Connecting...", "Syncing...", "Dropbox isn't running..." again, in cycle. It has been like this for hours. The only files that appear on my dropbox folder are ~*.tmp files.

I am currently running v81.4.195 on Ubuntu 19.04.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox does not start after upgrade

Helpful | Level 6
Hello, I have been through the same issue you describe since yesterday, this so-called "stable" release 81.4.195 keeps crashing and restarting itself, over and over again. I have posted twice here about the issue, and guess what, no single reaction from moderators. Let's admit it : it's pretty normal that we pay for a service which simply doesn't work. Maybe we should forget about the synchronization feature across devices, Dropbox is not meant for that seemingly, after all, moderators don't even bother to react. In the meanwhile, all the support service is on weekend vacation. I am honestly regretting the day I invested in Dropbox Plus 5 years ago. I am in total mess, paying for my trust in such a service.
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @alvaro211,

Seems last "stable" build have some problems (especially work database initialization). You can try as a workaround install some earlier version (this one for example) to ensure consistent initialization and at next update (auto) everything would work properly.  At the beginning remove current (probably corrupted) settings directory - "rm -rf ~/.dropbox". Try at least...

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@alvaro211 I would not recommend installing any earlier version because Dropbox will automatically update it to the brilliant release 81.4.195. I have already attempted to work with an earlier version, the auto-update performed minutes later. Waste of time... 

In the meanwhile, forums' moderators are super reactive and attentive to our voices. Great Dropbox! Good weekend! 

Highlighted

@kgdoura, Did you try clear existing (probably broken) settings in advance? I have already said that update follows! Didn't you read it?

@alvaro211, If desirable, You can stop auto update (freeze) after install particular version (and before launch it) using:

chmod a-w -R ~/.dropbox-dist

Reverse command (unfreeze) is:

chmod u+w -R ~/.dropbox-dist

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Здравко  thanks for your input, however the commands you shared are not appropriate for me, I am using Windows 10, not Ubuntu. I would appreciate if you share the equivalent commands in CMD / regedit ? to clear likely corrupted settings directory. I am not a tech savvy. Thanks. 

Highlighted

Yes, @kgdoura. I see that. That's why I have directed my comments/commands to @alvaro211. I'm not sure if similar solution is applicable for Windows, but you can try advanced reinstall (i.e. clear everything, including existing settings) and install some earlier version. Try at least and share what you will reach to. The result would be interesting. For Ubuntu works with existing consistent work database (settings), I'm using it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Здравко , unfortunately, I tried “advanced uninstall” several times, resulting in the same issue. As I mentioned, installing an earlier stable version is quickly followed by auto update, unless I find a tweak similar to that you shared.

On the other hand, after setup of the latest beta version 82.3.133, crashing issue looks to disappear, however the desktop app is stuck on “syncing...” immediately after connecting, although I narrowed my selective sync to a few dozens of files to keep the process light and to test it.

When “productivity” solutions become cotunter productive... so much energy lost to those bugs while responsibles keep silent.

Highlighted

Sorry @kgdoura ! I don't use Windows and can't lead you in. Probably @Rich could give better advices for Windows.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have installed a previous version and removed the directory you said, and prevented auto-upgrades. It seems that it is working now! I will update once the new release is more stable Thank you so much!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?