cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox doesn't respect system config for user AppData folder

Dropbox doesn't respect system config for user AppData folder

Jamie T.
New member | Level 1

When I install dropbox, it creates a folder

c:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\instance1

This is not my user home. There is nothing else in C:\users\{Username}. My user home is D:\users\{username}. Every other app is able to figure this out.

It seems that instead of using the system environment AppData location, Dropbox is just hardcoded to look on the C drive in the windows default location.

22 Replies 22

Re: Dropbox doesn't respect system config for user AppData folder

François W.
New member | Level 1

I don't remember, when you install Dropbox, it asks wher you want to create Dropbox directory

never mind you can change the directory, if you click right on the dropbox icone and then on the parameter icon, you cn change home directory of Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/help/89

Regards

Jamie T.
New member | Level 1

Hi Francois - this doesn't have anything to do with the actual location of your Dropbox folder. No matter where that is, it create the folder I mention above as part of the software installation process.

In Windows you have a user home directory that is usually under C:\users\{username} but can be anywhere. Mine is not there. Mine is on my D drive. Dropbox is creating files in the default user home location, instead of the actual user home location on my system. It should not be using a hardcoded path to the user home on the C drive.

Alexis G.1
Super User

You can move Dropbox to the location you want. You can do it even after the app is installed. You can select any local drive (external drives and network shares not supported).

In the past, Dropbox were located in the C drive, in the root. In recent installs (since years now), I see Dropbox goes to the user profile, inside My documents.

But the location can be customized, not a big deal.

Jamie T.
New member | Level 1

Again, I do not think you understand the issue.

This has nothing to do with the location of the dropbox folder.

When installing the dropbox app itself, regardless of the location of my dropbox folder, it makes other changes within your user home directory. But the dropbox installer does not respect the actual location of my user home directory. It makes those changes within C:\Users\{username} which is not actually my user home directory.

Please read the issue carefully. This has nothing to do with the location of the dropbox folder itself. This is an installation issue. Dropbox is creating a folder on my C drive where it thinks my user directory is located, because it is not using the Windows profile information about my user home, but apparently is hardcoded to just put it under c:\users.

Alexis G.1
Super User

Please read the issue carefully. This has nothing to do with the location of the dropbox folder itself. This is an installation issue. Dropbox is creating a folder on my C drive where it thinks my user directory is located, because it is not using the Windows profile information about my user home, but apparently is hardcoded to just put it under c:\users.

I understand you, but if you want Dropbox folder in another location, why you just don't move the Dropbox folder using the Move button in the Preferences?

></p>

Jamie T.
New member | Level 1

sigh .. 

I have already moved my dropbox folder using preferences. My dropbox folder is located at c:\dropbox

As I keep saying though, this has nothing to do with the location of my dropbox folder. It's an installation problem regarding where dropbox stores other files that it needs for operation (not my files! not my dropbox folder!)

If i delete the files under "c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\dropbox" (again, not my dropbox folder, that is elsewhere!) then dropbox will fail to start with an error. Moving my dropbox folder has no impact on the files Dropbox puts there, because (as I keep saying) this has nothing to do with the location of my dropbox folder.

The problem is that Drobpox puts files that it needs for operation under "c:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\dropbox". I don't want files there. That is not a location any application should put files. It is not my user home. In fact, before I install Dropbox, the directory "C:\users" doesn't even exist at all! Dropbox should put files for the current user under "D:\users\{username}\appdata\roaming\dropbox" which is my actual user directory.

François W.
New member | Level 1

Effectively

dropbox manages also 2 directories (under linux : .dropbox and .dropbox-dist ), with special files for the syncrhonisation. Jamy, I suppose that the problem you have is for those directories.

Unfortunatly  I have no answer 

Jamie T.
New member | Level 1

Yes, that's the problem, it appears to be a bug. It should obtain the correct location of the user directory from Windows API. Instead it just assumes it is in "c:\users\{username}"

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

Jamie, while I have no solution for your problem, I do agree with your analysis, and also that nobody else seems to "get" it.

The hidden directories that François mentioned are indeed stored in the partition holding the user's home directory, but couldn't really go anywhere else, because Linux has no concept of drive letters, only of named partitions.

I concur totally that Dropbox should respect your user profile, and should definitely not have C: hardwired into any of its file paths!

Sigh, indeed!

Typing echo %AppData% at the command line gives me

C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming

It can't be all that difficult to code Dropbox to use that system variable as the filename prefix!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Halofreak1990 New member | Level 2
    apraetor Super User
    Mark Super User II
    srxicey Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?